The Rise of the Fever

10: The Rise of the Fever

Scarlet's POV

Shit. I really need to learn how to control myself. I had finally lost it. And if you're wondering what in hell's world it is, it's my sanity. I have gone insane, everyone! Yeah! Yeah... no.

Let me fill you in on what has happened within the past month.

School went regularly; Nathan was nearly failing all of his classes, all except Spanish, he's actually smart in that. It's funny though, he didn't what burro was, and Spanish was like his second language. Eh, sucks for him, I'm better.

Each day went in the following order: [1] We go to school. [2] We have our classes. [3] We go home.

The schedule seems so simple, right? Nothing can happen. Ah, but there is number four. It's really surprising to me that I could actually get along with Nathan, well, most of the time. After we went home, I would do my homework, being a good student. But, after that, I would hang out with Nathan. This didn't happen everyday, just often. But any day I don't spend my leftover time with him feels empty, boring.

Dad kept pressing me on asking him about what had happen after the wolf attack, if he had any odd conditions or anything. I felt uncomfortable though, every time I tried to ask. I didn't want to dwell on the past when he was alive. That was all I cared for, his life. I was just happy he was goddamn breathing.

It did interest me. How come he didn't turn into a wolf? I laugh every time I think of this, since he's afraid of wolves. Well, more of my dad and I...

Nathan didn't ask about the accidental text, he had finally let it go and I was relieved.

And then came the night of the storm, which was two days ago.

It was a sunny evening, and dad was washing the dishes. Nathan had came over for dinner. Till this day, after all those times he came over for dinner, dad was still uncomfortable with Nathan's scent in the house, bringing him back memories. 

"Can we..." Nathan began, though his voice was shaky. "Can we go into the woods today? Instead of hanging out in your room?" I could see dad holding a plate that laid still in the running water.

"Y-yeah, sure," I answered as shaky as him.

I opened the glass door and he walked through. When I was about to close the door, dad stopped it. "Careful," he whispered, and I nodded. Then I went off after Nathan.

"So," I said as I caught up with him, "Why the change?"

He looked down at his feet, not looking at me. "Change is good."

"Not always," I argued, and when I looked at him there was a small smirk on his face.

We walked in silence after that. I didn't know where I was going, and I really doubt he knew, since he's never been in the woods here. After a few more minutes though, I noticed we were going towards Howling Creek. My cheeks warmed when I thought about Nathan seeing me... you know. Sadly, Nathan noticed my pink cheeks and chuckled, remembering too.

When we neared the creek, he just sat down next to it, touching the water with his fingers. There was a small smile on his face as he looked down into the water. I sat next to him--across from him, and I stared at our reflections.

Of all places in the world, the boy my dad nearly killed is right here. I can't help but think, is this fate or is this revenge? Is God punishing me for what my dad had done, making me see him everyday? Or is he giving me a chance to fix what my father had done? Or... maybe it's just a small world.