Chapter 7: You Know You're A Light-Weight

“Sydney?” Walker calls through my bedroom door a few hours after Elena and I make it back.

“Yes, Walker?” I shout back, reading an article about Taylor Swift in my June edition of Seventeen.

“Are you ready to go yet? Or getting ready or anything?” He wonders, referring to the night club- Club 22.

“Ah, would you believe me if I told you that I think I’m coming down with the flu?” I retort hopefully.

“Yeah, about as much as I’d believe you if you told me you could fly,” He scoffs. “Half an hour-hurry up.”

“Yeah, yeah, okay,” I sigh in defeat, sitting up in the bed, closing the magazine as I hear him walk away. 

Why my friends are so adamant on me going to Drew’s little birthday celebration or whatever, I’m not quite sure. It’s not like we’re actually even gonna talk to one another if we unfortunately happen to run into each other. At least, I’m not gonna talk to him. If he does try to talk to me though, I’ll probably just ignore him. That or just walk away. I’m gonna try my hardest not to actually like, go off on him or anything what with it being his birthday and all, but if he provokes me, I’ll do it and not even feel bad.

I get up from the bed, and pad across the room to the closet. These past few days that I haven’t been anywhere, I’ve been very slowly unpacking my clothes for the summer. The only thing that’s fully unpacked though is the stuff that goes in the closet. I take out the fancy plastic bag in which my dress is encased and close the closet.

Walking back over to the bed, I drop the bad on it and quickly strip out of my plain t-shirt and short shorts before easily slipping the dress on. It doesn’t have like a zipper or anything like that on it, which is why it’s so easy to get into. Once I’ve got it on, I walk over to the full length mirror in the corner of the room and turn it around, looking at my reflection.

The dress really is pretty, I have to admit. I had no luck finding a dress similar to a nun’s apparel, but Elena found this one and I tried it on and loved it. The only bad thing about it is that it’s really, really short. It stops a little bit above mid-thigh on me and has long lace sleeves that stop at my wrists and have these adorable little black flower designs. The lace goes down the front of the dress, acting as a thin second layer to the skin-tight black viscose material of the actual dress and wisps across my collarbone, revealing no direct skin other than that of my neck. That’s another reason I liked it, because besides my legs it doesn’t show too much skin and as slutty as it sounds, I don’t wanna show my body off to anyone that isn’t Bradley. Not that Bradley doesn’t already know what my body looks like, but still.  The back of the dress is pretty intricate though, there’s a few little openings in it, but they’re cute.

I sit down on the foot of the bed and lean down, picking up my new shoes. I wasn’t gonna buy them, but then Elena was all, ‘you can’t buy a new dress and not new shoes; it just doesn’t work that way’, so I bought them. The shoes were expensive though, like three times as much as the dress. Apparently the heel is five inches and they’re one hundred percent leather- hmm, no wonder they were so much. I grab my hairbrush and yank it through my hair, thanking my lucky stars that I straightened it earlier today. I leave it down and slip on a few silver bracelets and a pair of black studded earrings. Then I brush on just a little mascara and concealer.

I look at my cell phone and see that it’s nearly 10:30, meaning we’re about to leave. I don’t know why we’re leaving so late to go to Club 22, because I mean, it’s already pretty late. I guess that Elena doesn’t have a curfew or something. Sighing, I look at myself in the mirror once again and decide that I look good enough before heading out of my room, turning the light out as I go.