Phobias (III)

Arachnophobia (fear of spiders):

There is a scream from inside the house and Seneca hurries up his trek to it, glancing back briefly to see the peacekeepers tensing up. He waves them off as he makes his way inside, not absolutely sure if it was wise to take this all on on his own.

He's not quite sure what to make of Katniss kneeling on her hands and knees on her dining table, staring in fear seemingly at nothing.

"Katniss?" he asks in confusion.

"Get it! Get it!" she screeches.

He stares at her and then looks over to where her hysterical gaze is looking at, heading over a moment later. He sees the long-legged spider before he's even within a foot of it. He can't help bursting out in laughter.

Katniss Everdeen, the Girl on Fire, and Victor of the 74th Hunger Games...afraid of spiders?

It was just too amusing for him to think about clearly. This girl had braved the forests of the arena and of her own home in District 12, faced worse things, and was brushing hostile arms in fake pleasantry with Snow...and yet she was terrified of spiders. It was bemusing to him when he knew she'd faced scarier things; that who knew Katniss' worse fear after everything, or at least the 'least' worse fear, would be the eight-legged creatures?

And weren't there plenty of spiders in the forests and District 12?

He quickly snatches the spider and carries it outside, dropping it to the ground. He nods to the peacekeepers.

"There's your culprit," he says blandly, before heading back inside. He knows they'll do their job seriously, amusingly enough, and laugh at the hilarity while stomping on the thing. And he knows they'll take the mickey out of Katniss about it too.

"Is it gone?" Katniss asks quietly, staring at him intensely from her place on her table. "Did you get it?"

He nods and she narrows her stormy gray eyes at him.

"Don't you dare say anything."

He doesn't and he won't, but he can't help the fond smile that makes its way onto his lips.

Astraphobia (fear of thunder and lightning):

She's lived in the Capitol awhile now. It's still a strange thought and it still feels strange, but Seneca has helped made the transition a lot smoother than she thought it would be.

He's been a lot of help actually.

He's with her now, sleeping over as he was apt to do whenever she lets him. She never says it outright, just hands over a glass of wine for him to enjoy and signal that it would be alright to do so. Tonight, especially, seems to be a perfect case what with the weather as it was outside. It was simple rain at first, but now it's getting to be a storm, with thunder starting in the distance and lightning following.

She glances outside, seeing the weather, and frowns at it. Then she notices the loyal and determined peacekeepers and shakes her head. She gestures for them to head into the permanent Guardhouse and they're reticent, but she finally manages to convince them, using a stern glare, to hurry in before the storm blows them over. As for herself, she grabs a spare blanket and refills Seneca's glass of wine, planning on cuddling with him in this weather while watching old movies.

She's surprised to see him stiff and eyes squeezed closed on the couch.

"Seneca?"

"Here, Katniss," he murmurs, not opening his eyes.