Colors

Green:

Green. Katniss has been in love with the color green ever since she was little, and the different shades of green of the forest had drawn her to it. She's always thought, if ever she would actually agree to be married –she'd want a green wedding. Green flowers, green dresses for the bridesmaid, green decorations...

Before she began to love blue, because of her love of Seneca's bright, electrifying blue eyes, green had been her favorite color.

She sees green everywhere now. She sees green in Blasius' face at the anticipation and anxiety of being a father, and they talk about what to do in the future of things. He is so far from being like his father that she never feels uncomfortable with him and it's easy talking with him.

She wonders if she imagines the flecks of green in his muddy brown eyes.

Seneca comes in the bright, early morning, confused at Blasius' presence, but gives him a welcoming smile and her a warm one. He starts the coffeemaker, not saying anything. She knows he won't push for answers and will wait patiently for her to tell him anything, and she's grateful because she's still kind of processing the new twist in her world.

She sees green in Seneca when she tells him the news, but he doesn't say anything to either of them and Blasius is oblivious. Seneca is still the same towards the man and she's even more grateful than before because she thinks Blasius is rather fragile (if a Snow can be fragile), though she's sure that Seneca would know that more than she and probably does know it because he's known Blasius longer than her.

The different shades of green are all vibrant. And natural. Natural green of nature, the natural green of feeling sick, the natural green of an emotion that is natural to feel. All things that are a part of nature and can't be helped.

Just like the green of the landscape outside, that peeks out from the snow covered canvas –and the very naked Johanna Mason, who stands in the middle of it and basks in the rising sun.

Katniss can't help the hysterical laughter bubbling up, and thinks it's good to have met Johanna and that this strange but oddly delightful moment has lightened things in her mind for now.

Black:

Seneca is sitting quietly by the window, gazing outside as he sits sedately with a thoughtful look on his face. She comes closer to him and straddles his lap, laying her forehead against his as she gently holds his face.

"The year's off to a bad start," he says honestly, because he accepts everything and there's many he can't do...but he won't lie and says he likes much of it. "But I'll always take care of you," he murmurs.

She kisses him slowly, blinks back tears, and grabs his hand and leads it to her stomach. She thinks about the baby and thinks she's okay with having it now, with so many supporting her. But like him, a part of her will probably never be happy about it either –not unless Panem wasn't the way it was, Snow was dead, and the world was changed as a whole.

As far as she is concerned, everything is black because the whole world is surrounded in darkness, and it's not a world she wants to raise a child in.

Yellow:

The yellow of the sun is blinding, and the snow is melting as they loiter lazily outside. They're having a barbecue in the midst of the snow, but the sun's shining and yellow is prettily reflecting off of the snow, so it's all good and they don't mind the weirdness of the activity.

Seneca isn't cooking, despite being the best cook in the group. Katniss isn't either, despite being the next best cook. The two of them are relaxing by the pool, with one floating on her back and the other drifting in and out of sleep as he lays his head on his arms at the poolside, and keeps the rest of his body cooled in the water.