III - Evening Goose Chase

"The world was divided into three as we know of. Aetherna, the land of the gods came in first. The gods had nothing to do and so they created our land, Living Reilm. They molded us into beings that were lesser than theirs. Mortals die unlike the gods so Necrosberg was created last to provide shelter for the dead."

- Our History in One Hundred Pages, pg. 1

| ~ |

Serrah

Although I'm not fond of liquor and cigar, I still savor the air. Be it fresh or not. Ah, freedom. Being trapped in blade form for a while has left me feeling dead. What a selfish brat my dear Arthus is! He only calls me out only when he's caught in the middle of some serious mess. I honestly don't mind though. Just seeing him smile makes it worth the wait. I'll die fighting for Arthus. Without him, I-

Oh no!

Thallius raises his halberd and jumps at Arthus.

By the grace of Danaya, my blood turns cold! Too far to come to his aid, I can only pray against the worst. Good thing Arthus quickly heaves up his sword to defend. A gust of wind bursts out as their weapons collide. Chips of wood fly along with the floor cracking to pieces. The humans around are all blown away like pieces of paper.

Despite being able to counter, the attack gets him down to one knee. He flinches as the halberd's almost going to cut him in half.

"Arthus!" My legs are shaking as I sprint. I push him away by the shoulder. He gasps when the axe barely misses my feet.

"What are you doing, Serrah?" He yells angrily.

I pretend I didn't hear him. Instead, I turn to face Thallius. My hands ache as I clench them hard. "Dare not to lay a hand on him, you filth!"

Thallius grins, swinging his weapon to the side. He bows in a very elegant manner but it didn't impress me. "I haven't seen you for ages, Lady Serrah. Glad that you're still the beautiful and fierce woman that I've always known."

"Enough with the bogus praise, Thallius. I don't want to hurt you. Leave us be and perhaps we might end in good terms."

"I'm afraid I cannot do that." He poises into an offensive stance. "Your mind has been poisoned, Milady. We've always thought you'd come back on your own and leave this child in a pool of blood. Instead, you chose to serve him over the king. Your betrayal is sincerely not the best way to repay my lord's kindness, Milady."

"He's an evil man, can't you see?"

"What I couldn't see, Milady is, what does this child possess that King Lazaddon doesn't?"

What have I seen in Arthus that isn't in Lazaddon? Oh, I've seen a lot of things; things that make Arthus a far better person than that wicked king.

"The purity of heart," I reply. Thallius spits, his forehead begins to wrinkle then he bursts into laughter. "How absurd, Milady! I can't stop laughing. How can a woman like you, sinful and murderous, appreciate the purity of a mere child's heart? It's crazy!"

I heed no attention to his insults. I'm a different person for a definite reason now. And that reason is Arthus. "Thallius please let us go and pursue us no more."

"Rubbish. That will never happen. I'll bring you back to my lord, even at the cost of my own life."

He's worse than pitiful. Very much like me from the past; blind to the evilness of Lazaddon. I'm done being a tool of war. I won't let myself be used only for the purpose of his malevolent deeds. But with this soldier in front of me, there seems to be no hope for a diplomatic approach. His mind is fixed. We only have two choices; to simply surrender or to fight.