XI - Walk the Talk

"Unrest of spirit is a mark of life."

| ~ |

Arthus

My thoughts actively whirl in a perplexing blur.

Too many things are trying to occupy my mind at once, I'm afraid it's tearing my skull apart. I'm bothered by Xandria's surprising confession that reveals her soft side, Serrah's untimely outburst of behavior, and to top it all, there's Queen Isabel—an Elven royalty hell-bent on arresting me. Yet on the shocking contrary, she's the same person who can lead me to Lagrisme.

I heave a deep breath, folding my arms close to my chest.

Enlisting her aid could save me time and heaps of trouble, but I could also be walking straight into a trap. I don't even trust Xandria with half my heart. I know Elves are the least traitorous race one can envisage. They value righteousness and elegance. Yet, when we humans enter the scene, twists are to be expected. Not your typical nice tale is it?

Freakish wench. It doesn't make sense at all. Even if there is, it's a pretty screwed up kind of sense.

"Isn't there any other way," I begin, "that we can reach Lagrisme without going through her? Seems like a bad idea if you ask me."

Xandria drills me with a leveled gaze. "No. There's none."

"Don't you know the path yourself?" Serrah inquires then folds her arms nonchalantly—her armor clanging as metal scrape each other.

"I would have ventured to Lagrisme long ago if I've only known."

Why does she badly want to meet the Circle? That I don't know but the rigid tone of voice implicates that she's telling the truth. No point in conjuring an argument. "Why her? Of all people." I ask.

"Who?"

"Queen Isabel. Of the millions of mortals in the Reilm, why does it have to be her who can help us?"

"Dunno. I'm not a seer," she shrugs. Some strands of her hair fall over her face. She smiles and casually anchors them to the side of her head, revealing her delicately pointed ear. Somewhat adorable with the elvish charm but sorry, I'm not sold.

"Rumors claim that she's a former member of the Circle. A covert assassin during the days before she became queen," Xandria continues.

Serrah snorts while rubbing her chin, probably thinking deep in her thoughts. Come to think about it. What if Queen Isabel is the one whom the Circle sent to fetch me? What if instead of an arrest, her actual intention is to guide me to Lagrisme? Does this mean I've taken a wrong turn?

Holy gods of Aeterna, if you could hear, please help me. I still can't reach a substantial conclusion. Too much vagueness is pestering me at the moment. A single mistake and it'll be 'Hello Lazaddon' before I know it.

Well then, no other means to obtain answers but talk to her.

I walk around, scanning the enclosed room. Where's the entrance? Exit of some sort? Places like this should have some secret key. I tried leaning my hands on some dusty bricks. I get down on my knees and rest my ear close to the cemented floor, hoping to sense a trigger or some sort of lock. Unfortunately, everything seems to be constructed solid.

It's evident that escape won't come by easy. It's like this room is meant to imprison people to death.

"How do we get out of here?" I eventually blurt out in desperation; hoping one of these two ladies can provide a solution. "This door-less confinement is ominously disturbing."