IV - Clash of Swords and Axes

Arthus

I ignore Serrah's rabid cursing and dart to the fray.

Leave the forest alone.

The bear's eyes seem to plead as it shreds the soldiers, one by one. But, it's clearly outnumbered. Even the deafening roar doesn't daunt Thallius or his men any more. They keep slashing and hacking the poor creature.

Bolts of lightning, balls of fire, and spikes of ice shoot off from their swords.

The bear groans. Glowing, white liquid begins to drip from its wounds.

If the onslaught continues, it'll be dead soon.

I summon a wall of earth that abruptly surfaces, throwing most of the soldiers away. Spreading it out to form a shield around the creature, I confine it on the spot.

There's a loud crash.

A single swing and the bear smashes the wall apart, letting out an angry roar in the process.
Debris sails everywhere. I even had to sidestep to dodge an incoming boulder.

Another roar emerges from beside me. I glance to see a grizzly bear, somewhat taller than me. Steadying my stance, counter ready, I wait for it to strike.

"It is I, Seymour," it utters in a rough growl.

"Bloody hell, what happened to you?"

"Shape shift. I'll explain later," and he rushes to help his larger cousin.

My attention plunges back into the battle. The scorching air intensifies due to the growing fire. Out of the corner, my gaze catches Thallius, about to land a heavy blow on the bear's right foot.

With a strong flick, I twist the earth beneath him, making him trip and fail his assault. Wasting no time, I heave a gust of air to his direction, hurling him off several meters away.

"Behind you, Arthus!" Serrah screams.

Turning around, a Claudescian soldier attempts to stab my side.

Time seems to slow down. I realize I'm going to take this hit, no matter what. I brace myself for the incoming pain. Before I can react, a pointed, silver thing erupts from his chest. Blood immediately follows, bathing the gleaming rapier in red.

"Are you alright?" Serrah asks, pulling Lumina out from the body. Her face paler than usual. She's even shaking.

"Yes, thank you."

Without another word, I run towards the bear, who's now limping, barely able to fend for itself. Lying on a pool of its own, white blood, the agony evident. Seymour fights bravely to defend it. Serrah proceeds to eliminating our enemies.

I strike down every soldier I come across. I am almost close to where the bear stands, when a strong force pummels my gut, throwing me away.

The blunt side of a halberd just hit me.

Good news, the ground's soft with all the moss covering it. Bad news, I land flat on my face. Ouch. Choking back some air, I manage to stand up, the pain on my abdomen leaves me gasping.

Serrah lurches towards Thallius then whips him with a fury of slashes. He either deflects or evades most of her attacks, while receiving the rest. The look on his face tells that she's gaining on him.

"Serrah, I order you to stop," I croak.

Obviously, my command plays against her will. She calms down as she distances herself from Thallius.