Chapter 57

"Mother?"

"Yes?"

"Is it just me or you noticed too that my father was going out early and coming home late?"

"He might have some reasons why, but I guess he is on his training." She answered as she dried the washed dishes with a towel.

"I even noticed that before he got to bed, he was staring intently on one of his books."

She ignores him as her final answer for she doesn't even know how to cope up with an uninteresting topic to talk about.

"What I mean is, I don't understand it at all. It's very different from how you, mother, taught me to broaden my knowledge about things," he mutterred, but every word was still understandable.

She was put into a halt on what she was doing and turns to her adopted child, "Your father could read?" She asks, and that made her adopted child have an anime sweat drop popped at the back of his head, wondering if that was actually a question.

"That's what makes me confused, mother. It looks like a picture book," he answered. "Well, if it was actually a book for learning new things," he uttered and his face lit up with a faint blush. "Mom? Can we also have a learning materials with pictures in it?" He asked, his eyes turning left and right and both of his fingers poking each other as a psychological response of his body telling he's shy to ask such request.

"I mean, it's not that the books are boring as it is, but I think pictures could make the pages lively," he says and his mind begins to wander and imagines every page of the book has a comic character as a sensei beside Yumi doing the role.

She blinked her eyes for a second and tried to think about how Konohamaru got the inspiration to read books. It is a fact that Konohamaru was once a writer of the Academy's school article and also became the editor in chief before he graduated. But she knew his downside, that he isn't a fan of reading, he just did it for the sake of the articles.

"What book is your father reading exactly?" She asked, obviously in her own mind and didn't hear what Kyo had said about the book and all of his requests about a picture book.

Kyo enthusiastically went to search for the book he's trying to say it was the source of power to enhance Konohamaru's training, and he knew where it was all hidden.

He immediately went back to the dining room, with the book he's holding up in the air for hes so excited to show it, finally thinking that Yumi asked it to get an idea of how to make him a book of his dreams.

"It's quite a lot of volumes or series, but I got one for a sample." He says and shows her the book.

He was excited to explain the idea he came up with on how his book should go, sharing his thoughts, but her mind fell blank. Her eyes lost her light and darkened, she hardly even heard of what Kyo was saying.

"As I was saying, mother, I want a book with lots of pictures in it," He says as he quickly scans the pages of the book.

"Mother," he called, "how about...we...could....help.....father...to...why are you looking at me with a face like that?" He drawl in between his words, then picked himself together afterwards to ask a full sentence.

The light of her soul came back to her after a minute of wandering around like a lost soul.

"You ask too much request, but I'll try if you promise to study diligently," she says to him as she flips the pages of the magazine as she's thinking that maybe there was actually a note of lesson plan somewhere pinned between the pages to disguise that he was playing it cool and not working hard for the chūnin exam.