Chapter 5

Chapter 5

                I left Jesse standing there with his hand out in cold air. I walked away. He didn't follow afterwards. Unfortunately I left the mall without lunch! My stomach began to grumble as I reached the door step back home. I prayed there was something left in the fridge. Maybe there was some cold cuts and cheese. Oh I could really use a sandwich.

                "Mom, I'm home!" I called out.

                "Okay, I'm just in the kitchen!" She answered

                When I reached the kitchen I headed straight towards the fridge. While mom was rearranging the cabinets I went in search for some food. Suddenly, I felt a weird sensation run up my arm. Not from the air of the fridge. It was something different - something eerie. I could only pray it wasn't a spider.

                "Lucia, stop praying!" A voice whispered.

                I shut the fridge closed. What was that?

                "Did you say something?" I asked.

                Mom turned around shaking her head.

                Swallowing my fear I decided maybe it was a sign to lay off the honey ham. So instead I headed to the living room. Crashing into the couch I flipped on the TV and scanned through the channels. Finally after finding a promising movie I began to relax. I wasn't sure what exactly the movie was about, but so far all I knew was that a father was speaking to his daughter. It looked intriguing.  The man in the dress shirt knelt down to be the same level as the little girl. Soon the screen was nothing but a close up of his face. "My daughter, you must listen to me. Your mother is not what she is. Her father was not who he was, and his father was not what he says. You're family is not good. I am the only truth...do you understand?"

                The little girl nodded but her eyes still reflected worry.

                "Please listen. You don't belong here. You belong with me, and to me...do you understand Lucia?"

                My eyes slightly widened as the camera zoomed in closer to his face. The man squinted and a smirk appeared.

                "Do you understand me...Lucia?" He spoke.

                Swiftly I shut the TV off and stared at the black screen.

~*~

                "So Lucia, do you get it?" My mother asked as I examined the piece of paper.

                I pressed my lips together.

                "Do you get it?" She asked again.

                "No," I mumbled. "I don't get Shakespeare what so ever..."

                She huffed in frustration as she shook her shoulders. "Okay, let's try this again."

                "No," I grumbled. "I'll translate it on Google or something."

                Laughing she took my hand and whispered. "Look, I'm sorry I'm not the best teacher, but you just have to work with me."

                I smiled. "No really, I'll figure it out myself, I'm sure you need a break from this more than I do."

                "Oh alright, but please don't use Google, don't take the easy way out."

                Rolling my eyes I said. "Fine, I'll do it the old fashioned way and go to the library."

                A smile came to her face as she got up and headed upstairs. I made my way out. It was only one-o'clock on a Wednesday, so I wasn't too concerned about a crowd. I watched my feet hit the pavement, each splat of the rubber sole hitting the ground. Suddenly I stopped. I felt eyes. Someone was watching. I began walking again. With each step I took I felt another set behind me. I turned around...nothing. Pressing my palms into my eyes I took a deep breath. It had to be nothing...I prayed it was only nothing.

                "STOP PRAYING!!!" A voice yelled.

                It was the same raspy deep voice from before.

                "Lucia..." It whispered.

                But there was nothing behind me.

                "Lucia...."

                I felt my heart racing, as my lungs began to tighten. My hair was burning. Suddenly the voice was gone, it was all silent. So I took the opportunity and ran.