Chapter 22

Chapter 22

                Jesse and I were deep in conversation about our next step, we were hoping to get out, and leave. With any luck, we’d leave as casual as possible. Possibilities of departure unnoticed were few. If anything, we’d leave when there was chaos. But honestly I knew that both of us had already gone through enough of that.

                When things became quiet I couldn’t help but think of how much this seemed like a Greek Mythology. How much I was like Pandora in a way. I had to open that box and when I did all terror escaped. Except in this story, I didn’t have a choice whether or not to open that box.

                “So what are you going to do when this is all over?” Jesse casually asked.

                I shrugged. “Go home and have some honey ham.”

                He laughed when I said it, but it was true. The last time I wanted a slice someone had rudely interrupted!

                “Yah, I think I might go and try to make a pie!”  

                I grinned at him; at least we were a little optimistic about things.

                “Lucia,” The nurse said as she entered. “May I speak to you for a moment?”

                When I nodded she wearily approached.

                “Look, we have been trying to contact your parents the entire morning. Honey it’s almost three, we had to call the police...”

                I took in a deep breath as Jesse nervously shifted his weight on the bed.

                “If there is anything that we need to know...you really have to tell us.”

                Jesse and I stayed silent and still.

                “Alright then,” she sighed with frustration. “I have no choice but to inform the officers of this.”

                I could feel my breath grow shallow as she gave me one last look before leaving the room. My eyes than darted to Jesse who also seemed panicked, we were screwed! There was no way out that wouldn’t bring attention, and what would we tell the police when they got here? Oh I’m sorry my mother isn’t answering her phone, she’s in hell.

                With no words Jesse calmly walked over to the table where our bags and my clothes were. Slowly he handed me my shirt and jeans, as he pulled on his jacket. Then as soon as he turned around to open the door I quickly placed my jeans under the hospital gown and pulled the garment off my head the same time I pulled down my shirt. When I was done I swiftly swung my bag over my shoulder and stood behind Jesse.