Chapter 11

Chapter 11

                The bus stopped, it had stopped numerous times. But Jesse and I still stared in silence. I was being serious. And he knew it. My gaze never left his eyes, and my attention firm.

                I watched his Adam's apple bob up and down; he was swallowing, with fear. My skin itched with his worry. I could smell the concerns of the other passengers too.

                "When's your stop?" I asked.

                Frantically he blinked his eyes, as he realized he was sitting on a bus. "Uh, five blocks back..."

                I gave a small emotionless smile as I reached for the signal rope at the top of the window. As I heard a bell ring for the bus driver I felt his gaze on me.

                "What?" I snapped.

                He ran his fingers through his hair. "Why?"

                My eyes dug into him, as the bus slowed. While we got up, his eyes never left me.

                "Why?" He asked again as my foot hit the pavement.

                Should I tell him?

                "...There has to be a reason." He whispered.

                I turned towards him, not minding the passing people aggravated that we were in the way. "You won't believe me if I told you..."

                He stared in silence.

                Shaking my head I waved him off as I began to walk away. It was a wrong decision to go to him. Really I could simply kill myself.

                I heard his footsteps behind me as I turned to the busy street. My skin began to itch as he slowly came closer...he was scared. I could feel his fear. I could smell it. It was intoxicating.

                No! Since when did fright smell...since when did I even like fear in others.

                "Lucia..." I heard him from behind me. But my thoughts were somewhere else. They were drifting.

                My gaze was locked at the passing cars, trucks, and semis. The whizzing sound they made, the scent of the exhaust, and the tough metal that shone in the sun. They were moving fast, very fast. I was so tempted...

                "So do it!" I heard a million voices cry.

                I pressed my lips tight into a smirk. It was so appealing, to just...

                "Go ahead and do it!" An alluring voice called from the other side. I didn't look up though; my eyes were glued to the passing vehicles.

                "...Lucia?" Jesse mumbled.

                "DO IT!" A snarl spat.

                Suddenly adrenaline over powered me, and I could feel myself want to do it more. Slowly I placed one foot off the pavement, and placed it on the black tar road.

                "Yes, yes!" That voice...

                The other foot

                "Yes!!"

                Another step...

                "Yes!" It was Lucifer!

                All of a sudden I felt an excruciation tug on my arm. My attention darted to the source of the pain, only to be distracted by a deafening honk beside me. I felt the breath in my lungs disappear as I realized I was inches away from the bumper of a Hummer. The smell of burnt runner filled the air as the cars began to turn to blurred images.

                Suddenly I felt the hard sidewalk against my elbow as I crashed to the ground.

                "What the hell!!!" Jesse cried.

                I looked up at the street...What did I do?

                Jesse rolled on the floor his eyes facing the sky, trying to catch his breath. "What the hell was that?!"

                Turning towards him shook my head. "I-I don't know..."

                He let out an exasperated huff, as I felt the eyes of on lookers gaze at me. I could even hear them murmuring, scoffing, and judging. They all concluded I was on drugs.

                "Lucia," Jessie sighed. "What's wrong?"

                I gazed at him, this time concern was in the place of the frustration.

                "I-I I didn't."

                Silence

                "I didn't do that..." I pointed towards the street.

                He drew back, "Walk up to the middle of traffic?"

                I nodded. "I didn't do anything! I didn't mean to...I don't think I want to..."

                "You're not making sense!" He half whispered.

                Frustratingly I grasped my hair and bellowed. "And you think it makes sense to me?! Forget it, just get back on the bus and pretend I never said anything to you!" Quickly I stood to my feet.

                "No, Lucia! Jeez! You can't just do that!" He sighed.

                I stared at him.

                "Look I want to help but you can't always run every time someone wants to lend a hand?! You can't always have a pole up your ass okay?!"

                "Screw you!"

                "Lucia...I want to help."

                "You wouldn't want to after I tell you why..."

                He sighed in slight aggravation. "Just tell me!"

                "My mother's gone, and she's not gone, as in walked and left gone. My mother is in hell, she's not dead, but she is  there. She was taken away from me because I didn't want to go there myself," Slowly I felt the bottled fear and sorrow inside me beginning to resurface. "He wants me because I can do things, because I can float in mid air, because I can throw people against walls thirty feet away... because I can throw you against cement stairs."

                "What are you saying? I don't understand. Why do they want you?"

                "Because," I whispered. "Because I'm just like him...I'm his."