Chapter 9

Riley's point of view

9:26 P.M. I sat in the bay window. Things were worse. There was no screaming, yelling, pushing or hitting but it was worse. My dad didn't come home after school.

I had gone to Farkle's and then Maya's but when I got home my dad was not there. He seemed like usuall at school.

Part of me hated him for everything but the other part wanted him back so bad.

My phone buzzed. I picked it up and looked at it. It was a text from Farkle. Hey how was talking to Maya? Can I come over to talk about it?

I quickly typed a message telling him to come immediately.

Within a matter of minutes Farkle came through the bay window the same way Maya used to a few short weeks ago.

"So did you apologize?" he asked. "No, no Farkle I didn't" I answered. "Why? You had 2 words to say I'm sorry!" he sounded annoyed.

I sat there a while gathering my thoughts. "Yeah well it's not that easy to do when she replaces you" I said. Farkle looked surprised.

"I don't think she replaced you. I think that she was doing exactly what you're doing" Farkle said.

"And what's that?" I asked. "She's looking for someone to listen to her" he said.

"What could she possibly be upset about? I'm the one who needs someone to listen to me!" I got defensive.

"Maybe if you listened, you'd find out" he told me.

A tap was heard at the window. A familiar face appeared on the other side of the window.

"Maya's here. But before you apologize and tell your side of the story, why don't you listen to what she has to say?" he got up and kissed my cheek. I watched him leave my room and show himself out.

I looked at the window. Maya was standing there waiting to be left in.

I opened the window. "Come in old friend, I've been told it's best to listen" I said with a smile.

She crawled in and sat down beside me. "Go ahead. I've got nothing but time" I said softly. Maya smiled like she had a lot to say. I was ready. I wasn't gonna mess it up this time.

"Riley, I'm sorry..."