Chapter 15

Riley's point of view

We ran downtown to the Greenwich village hotel where my dad was staying.

"Riley, technically Maya didn't want you to help" Farkle said out of breath as we walked up the stairs to the hotel entrance.

"Yeah well I don't care. I don't want my dad to hate Maya" I said. I walked up to the desk.

"Excuse me, can you tell me what room Cory Matthews is staying at?" I said. Farkle stood behind me. I looked back at him for a split second. I couldn't look at him long. He was so cute. But I can't like Farkle! It's Farkle!

"I'm sorry mam, but we aren't allowed to give out that information" the lady told me.

"Oh well. We tried" Farkle said turning towards the door. "No, no, no. We are staying to help Maya" I grabbed Farkle's arm as his phone buzzed from his pocket.

"Aren't ya gonna get that?" I asked. "Get what? I didn't hear anything" Farkle said trying to act clueless.

"It was your phone. And it's probably from Maya. Get it or I will!" I forced him.

"No I think it's just my mom" he said sarcastically. "You think I won't get it? I will. Watch me!" I reached for Farkle's pants pocket.

"Riley! Riley! Stop!" he screamed. "No give me!" I finally got it.

With one arm I held him back and the other I checked his phone. He was obviously too strong for me. But I managed to read most of the text.

Are you coming? Mr. Matthews is crying. I need back up Maya's text read.

"Let's go! Text her back and ask her what room she's in" I slapped his arm playfully. Aww man, I'm flirting. I think. I don't know anymore!

"Gosh. You're so pushy!" he texted Maya.

A few seconds later his phone buzzed again. "Room 314. Let's go!" Farkle told me.

We ran to the elevator. We went up to the door. I heard sobs. I knocked quickly.

Maya appeared at the door. We walked in. My dad sat there in the edge of the bed crying.

"Riley?" he asked softly looking up towards me.

"Daddy" I said as if I was 9 again. It was silent for a minute or two. My dad stood up.

"I love you" he said trying to stop crying. I stood there frozen. He held his arms out.

"I love you too" I began to cry myself. I hugged him back. My head on his chest.

"I tried. I really did. Maya, Farkle and I. We tried. I'm sorry" I cried. He ran his fingers through my hair.

"I know. You can't fix this Riley. It's much bigger than you. The only one that can help me, is me" he said drying his eyes.

I wiped my cheeks from their tears.

"And I would really appreciate it if you came with me. I want you there when I talk to your mom. Will you help me?" he asked.

"I'll just be there for you. Just like some other people I know. They taught me that just being there is the best thing you need" I smiled at Maya and Farkle. And then my dad.

"Let's go right now" he said. I breathed out deeply.

"Oh boy" I said.