Absence of Cupidity

(reader's POV)

I was walking to the park in the afternoon. Time passed by too slowly at my house as I waited for Jack. The wind blew, and I could fell it pass my (_hair color_) hair and cool my scalp. It felt strange, so I paused. My eyes slowly looked up, and I saw my friend, Alex, smile and wave at me. He walked to me. It had been years since I had seen him.

"What are you doing here," I asked him.

He smiled gently. "I'm visiting my cousin. She lives down a block from here, but I played with the kids while I was here." He looked around. "How everything here? It's been, what, four years since I've lived here?"

I laughed. "Everything in your old high school is okay. Are you ever going to move back here?"

"I might."

"Well, it's gotten better here actually. How are you in the place where you live?"

Alex paused. "Well... A friend of mine died."

"Oh. I'm sorry..."

He smiled weakly. "It was about two years ago, but the funeral is coming up soon. So it's kind of gloomy... Anway you should look around here." He let out a small laugh. "It's, uh," he grinned, "pretty magical here."

My brows furrowed. "What do you mean?"

He grinned. "Take a look around. You'll see."

I turned and saw some kids playing on the jungle gym. They laughed, chasing each other. It all seemed peaceful. I turned to Alex, but he wasn't there anymore. The wind blew again,  warmer and stranger this time. It was like the wind was gently pulling me into the direction of the children.

I walked over to them, and a boy smiled at me.

"Do you want to play?" A little girl looked up at me. "We need someone to pretend to be the warrior."

The boy's cheeks puffed. "I said I wanted to be the warrior."

I laughed. "Why don't we both be warriors?"

The girl explained the simple rules to me. I was a warrior who had to protect the sisters of light while chasing down goblins that wanted to eat them. After a while, I enjoyed the game. I had fun catching the little kids and being the best warrior over all of them.

"Can I join?"

I turned around and saw Jack smiling.

One of the boys ran up to Jack. "Of course you can. You wanna be a goblin? We need help because (_your name_) keeps getting us fast."

 Jack grinned at me. "I'll be a goblin." He walked onto the grass as I caught a little kid.

I had a hard time trying to catch Jack, and an even harder time trying to protect the sister of light from him. He almost touched her, but grabbed his ankle and he fell straight to the ground.

"Elisa, Gordon! Time to go." A woman called from across the park. 

The children waved at us as they ran to their mother. "Bye!"

After a while, all the kids were called by their parents and they went home. Jack and I sat on a bench watching the sunset.

Jack glanced at me then at the sunset. "You know, it's almost time for us to go."

I looked at him. "What?"

He laughed lightly and stood up. "Let's get you home." He smired and took my hand.

We walked back to my house. I ate dinner and said I was going to my room. Jack sat on a branch of the tree in front of my window.

I opened the window. "Hi."