Who is June?

(Jack's POV)

"Stop, Bunny! Ah! Bunny, stop! AH! Stop!!"

"Hold still and it might not hurt!" Bunny placed an herb on my shoulder. He popped my arm back.

"AHHH!" I kicked him in the face. "It hurts!"

He punched me in the face and I fell to the ground. "I don't have to tend to your wounds." He turned back to the herb on the small hill behind him. "Why'd you come to me anyway? North or Tooth would have done a better job."

I sat up, rubbing my cheek. I glared at him for a moment and took a deep breath. "I needed to ask you something."

Bunny faced me, raising a brow. "Out with it. Is it something about Pitch?"

I looked at him through my eye lashes. "Pitch said that you know something about guardians falling in love." I rose to my feet. "Why is it a terrible thing?"

Bunny paused. He stared at me for a moment, like he was gathering every piece of something he was going to throw onto me. "It's a bad thing... because of June." He lowered his head. "She is the example of why we can't fall in love."

I raised a brow, stepping closer to Bunny. "Who's June? Why did she make it to where we couldn't fall in love?"

Bunny's brows crashed. "She didn't make it that way, Pitch did. Pitch would make me tell you about her instead of himself." Taking a deep breath, he smiled weakly. "June was a brilliant girl. She loved learning how to do new things. She found her own kind of light in even the darkest of times. She tried to spread hope throughout her village during the three month drought. She believed in me, even when she shouldn't have." He looked at me. "She was the girl I loved a couple centuries ago."

My eyes widened. When a guardian loves someone... I locked gazes with Bunny. "What happened?"

Bunny sighed. "When a guardian loves someone, especially a human, Pitch can use that person against us. They become a weapon of great damage and manipulation. He can take them away, or he can destroy them."

My eyes shifted between the floor and Bunny. "And June...?"

"Was killed." Bunny looked at me. "Once Pitch knows about them you can't let them out of your sight." He shook his head. "He'll visit them when you least expect it. Or he'll try catching you with that person when you don't expect it." He locked gazes with me. "I'm going to guess you've found someone you've fallen in love with."

I nodded, not knowing what to say after that. I simply forced a sympathetic smile. "I'm sorry."

He lightly laughed. "It's not your fault, mate. I guess the only one left to fall for someone is Tooth."

I nodded, looking at distant, wandering eggs. "I wonder if she ever can though."

"What?" Bunny looked at me. "You're joking right? She has a heart."

"Well... She only visits kids who have lost their teeth and not all of them have siblings that are a suitable age for Tooth." I leaned back a bit. "She isn't exactly like us. I mean, how often do people wake up and think, 'what I would give to see the tooth fairy that I get no sign of!'"

Bunny laughed. "You'd be surprised how love works, mate. After all, how often do I go out into the world?"

I paused, remembering the one time I saw Bunny as a child. I smiled and shrugged. "I guess I have much to learn about chance."

He smiled. "More like fate. Love works different compared to fate."

I raised a brow. "How?"

"Where do you think the phrase 'a once in a lifetime love' comes from?"

"Oh." I leaned to try to see the eggs in the distance. "Then I guess I still have a few things to learn about love."

"I'd be careful if I was your girl then." He laughed.

I smirked. "Hey Bunny, you've been in love. Could you give me some advice on something?"