Ch. 1 - Does He Remember?

"Uhh!" I sighed. "Looks like its you and me again tonight B!" As I hummed my favorite song, I gathered the ingredients for a pie that I was making for a friend's birthday. I'd mixed all of the ingredients for the crust when the phone started to ring. The phone rang for the third time as I finally reached for it. My hands had been covered in a sticky, floury mess that prevented me from being as punctual as I usually was. "Heyyya...", I said - my sleepy southern accent drifting out. As much as I tried to contain it, that drawl slipped out in the evenings.

"Hol. I jussth luuv yuu," slurred a familiar female voice.

"My darling have you been having fun tonight?" I sweetly asked my best friend Paige as I continued to stir the ingredients.

"Yeahhhhh. But my twistwer keeps beeeeping and its talking about you!"

I was confused, but that wasn't out of the ordinary. Paige Anne Sandrey was known for being cryptic - even on her best days. "Well, what does your 'twistwer' say about me?"

"Uhhh hmmmm", she stumbled over her syllables. "Itsss that work thingy."

"Which one Paigey?" I tried to coax it out of her nicely. "There are lots of things and people at my work."

"Theeeee boy bander, what's his name?? Hammer?" She laughed so hard she started to cough. "Hols. Byeeees." And all of a sudden she hung up the phone. All I could do was shake my head and smile.

When Paige 'had fun' she definitely had the ability to confuse those around her. But Hammer? I started to think about what she'd said as I hung up the phone. I had done an interview with a few members of the band One Direction, she must be referring to Niall. Over a year ago the interview went viral. The guys were great, so I gave them my number, just in case they ever came back to town. It was purely friendship - at least that's what I told myself. Truth be told, I had woken up several nights over the last year dreaming about a certain someone's blue eyes...

As my evening of pie baking continued, I couldn't shut my brain off. What had Paige meant? I knew that One Direction would be returning to town very soon for a show, tomorrow in fact. I was scheduled to interview them after the show, as well. Maybe there was more to this. I pulled out my phone and clicked on my twitter app, which had three new mentions and various other comments upon comments. Paige and my boyfriend Dave had tweeted me.

DGraey84: @TheHollieE is amazing and I am looking forward to OBX

Great. Dave keeps insisting that we go on vacation together and now he has announced it to the world. This is just fantastic.

ItsPaigeyAnne: OMG @TheHollieE you should really make me one of your chocholate chip pies thanks love kbye

Little does she know...

I also had a very unexpected, very public tweet. From Niall. Niall Horan. Niall from One Direction that everyone now assumed was in some sort of "flirtationship" with me. Because of one tweet.

NiallOfficial: Cannot wait to see @TheHollieE at our interview on Tuesday... Missing her

I stared at the screen for what seemed like thirty minutes and finally I was shaken by my dog, Bruno. "Bruno, baby, what's goin' on here? Why did this guy write that about me on twitter?" As I whined to my German Shepard, I noticed how many hateful responses and retweets had been posted to Niall's. Oh well. "Bruno, this is just an interview, he's probably thinking of someone else. I'm just going to disappoint him. It will all be fine, let's get your dinner." And with that my fiercely protective dog happily accompanied me to the kitchen.

I went to sleep at my normal bedtime, but woke suddenly at 2:30 am shaking, violently. Bruno was whimpering, obviously worried about me. "I'm alright Bruno," I said as I petted him on the head. But was I, really? As I tried to close my eyes, I could only see the memories I had of Niall. Of his blue eyes. His hand trying to catch hold of mine. "There's no way he remembers what last year was... there's no way." I mumbled as I drifted off to sleep.