Ch. 4 - Fear

As I sat in my living room that night I wrote an e-mail to Dave explaining my feelings, or lack of them. I even wrote about how we didn't spend enough time with each other to facilitate a complete relationship. I made sure to compliment him, but tried to be firm. When I was done I pressed send. I was officially a terrible person. Who breaks up with their boyfriend of three years by email? Right. I just did.

The next two hours were spent working on a pecan pie for my Granny's birthday the upcoming weekend and tidying my house. All of a sudden I was startled by a high pitched noise.

"Ding Dong! Ding Dong!" The antique grandfather clock in my hallway was chiming 9:00. "Oh my goodness!," I mumbled as I caught my breath. "Wait, that means my interview has already played."

Just as I was about to log onto my computer to check out the responses to the interview, my phone ran. "Hollis are you okay? Have you seen twitter?" Paige calmly spoke. But something was different about her voice, as if she was in serious, over-protective friend mode.

"No, I haven't. Hey Paigey have you heard my interview yet? Be honest, is it alright? Does it completely suck?" I fussed, not acknowledging my friend's worry.

"Hollis Easton. Focus!" she yelled. "What happened at that interview?" "You are getting horrible threats." Paige got very quiet, "like death threats."

"Oh man. Well... those fans are dedicated," I said calmly. Knowing she was concerned, I continued to listen, but I wasn't willing to sound the alarm of Threat Level Alpha, as Paige was notorious for doing.

"You heard me right, Reed?" She was almost yelling now. "DEATH THREATS!"

I was so frustrated at this point. Paige went on, "Ummm, there are pictures. You might not want to see them."

"You're right - I probably don't." I was shocked. Who had taken pictures? And of what? Just then the doorbell rang. "Hey Paige, I will call you back, really soon, okay?"

"Okay, be careful!" Paige was serious in her tone. I clicked 'end' on my phone and tossed it on the sofa.

Bruno walked to the front door with me, his ears peaked. As I opened the door, I noticed that there was someone there that I simply did not know.

"Hello! May I help you?" I asked the young girl. She was approximately 15 years old and had long curly blonde hair. She did not smile, but rather glared at me. The girl's stance made Bruno growl defensively at her. "Can I help you honey?"

"I fucking hate you! YOU STOLE NIALL FROM ME!" She screamed. Her outburst caught me off guard. I pushed my hands onto the door and used my body weight to wedge it closed.

As I tried to shut my front door she pulled out a knife and sliced open my three middle fingers on my right hand. Bruno became fiercer with my screams, causing her to run away.

As as slumped against the door on my hardwood floor, I kept looking at my hand as the blood continued to ooze from my fingers. 'Just for a couple of interviews,' I cried to myself. But, the guilt and emotional pain that those words brought caused my tears to fall even harder.

An hour later, my injured hand was shaking as I put the last of my things into a suitcase. I looked around my room and thought, 'this will just have to do. I've gotta get out of this town and disappear. But who can I call?'

I made the only choice that I could. The only person that was capable of fixing this situation.

"Paige?" I whispered as I climbed into a taxi, destined for the airport.

"Are you alright Hollis?" She was truly concerned at this point. "What's going on?"

"A girl showed up at my house and hurt me. She found out where I live and attacked me." My voice shook. "I need you to watch Bruno for a while why I leave town. Can you do that for me?" I begged her.

"You know I will. I'm not going to ask anything now, except if you're safe?"

"Oh Paigey, I don't know. I hope." I started to tear up. "Everything changed in twelve hours." We stayed on the phone in silence for a few minutes. I thanked Paige for helping with Bruno, and said I would let her know where I was, after I arrived. Paige said goodbye and I hung up the phone.