Ch. 13 - Skeletons in Her Closet

While Liam walked to the door to let Paul and Niall inside, I sat chewing my bottom lip and frowning.

"Hollis. What's happened? Liam said it was urgent." Niall huffed as he rushed towards me. I smiled at him subtlety and made room for him on the sofa.

As I started to open my mouth to speak, I heard Liam talking. "Niall, Paul you're here because Hollie told me some things that you need to know. When you left her here earlier, I asked her to explain the background of the situation. She had a hard time telling me the first time, so I'm going to do my best to tell you for her. This is information that I think will help explain the why everything is happening..."

Paul looked at Niall and then at me, both confused and concerned.

Liam watched me as he explained the story; I glanced between my feet and each pair of eyes; spending more time focused on my pedicure. While Liam spoke, he emphasized the changes in Dave's personality over time and his controlling behaviors.

Liam cleared his throat and paused, looking at me. "I know I said I would tell the whole story for you, but Hol you should tell this part. It's important."

My eyes closed and I felt Niall's hand on my back. The next voice I heard was Niall's. "Love, what happened?"

I sat up and opened my eyes. "Niall, Paul I was 29 when I met Dave. I was also a virgin out of choice, I was waiting for the right person." I took a deep breath knowing this was about to get difficult. "I never felt 'in love' with Dave, especially after I moved to Knoxville."

Niall grabbed my hand and asked, "If you didn't love him Hollis, then why stay?"

I couldn't help but chuckle. "Niall, that would've solved so many problems. Everything, everyone kept say 'leave', 'get out', but I wanted to kept trying to have a successful relationship." Niall just grabbed my hand tighter and shook his head in understanding.

"Dave started to talk about marriage on my 31st birthday, and I always said I wasn't ready." Niall was very serious. I purposefully turned so that he could no longer touch me. He really needed to hear me. "Niall, I met you about four months or so after my 31st birthday. That's when I knew for sure that my relationship wasn't working, that I trying was a waste of my time. Dave must've known too - or noticed. I never saw him and when I did, I didn't want to."

I pulled my knees up to my chest. "A few months ago, Dave came to Knoxville, after a business trip to Barcelona, and was convinced that we were getting married. He said that people who were getting married should have sex."

Three pairs of eyes were fixed on me. I didn't want to continue, but I had to. "I told him I didn't want to. But he was to strong. It didn't matter... I was in a lot of pain after that. I tried to hurt myself, but thankfully I wasn't successful."

Niall had tears in his eyes. Paul was speechless. Liam had his head down. I looked at Niall. "Please say something. Please," I whispered.

Niall took a deep breath, as if to control his simmering anger. He rubbed my shoulders and looked into my eyes, despite my protest. "I will keep you safe. That bastard won't touch you ever again. You will never have a reason to want to hurt yourself ever again."

After several awkward minutes, Paul stood and asked us to be packed and on the bus in an hour. He smiled kindly at me as he left the room. On his way out the door Paul turned around and exchanged knowing glances with both Liam and Niall.

My mind felt free after sharing my dark past, buy it still reeled. In the moment, I thought 'pack', and looked to Niall. "Hey, let's go pack. We can talk more later." I said as calmly as possible. He squeezed my hand and we left Liam's room to get our packing done; tension palpable.