Five

Beep, beep, beep

Violet's alarm clock informed her that it was 7:00 am, time to get ready for the first day of eleventh grade at her new high school. Rian had told her last night that they'd be walking to school and had to leave at 7:45. 

The last week and a half had flown by, Violet became easily lost in the daily routine of sleeping in late, waking up to the sound of band practice outside her door and watching late night TV by herself, and doing it all over again the next day. Unfortunately now it was time to start school, and face the fear and anxiety she'd been having these last few days. 

Violet showered late last night and it left her dark hair to dry messily. After running a straightener quickly through it and adding a bit of winged eyeliner, Violet went to find something to wear. She decided on some ripped black tights, a pair of black shorts, a white tank top and a comfortable grey zip up hoodie to go over top. 

She quickly brushed her teeth, put in her contact lenses, and by the time she looked at the clock it was already 7:40. Grabbing the new back pack she had bought, Violet ran up the stairs where she found Rian tying up his show laces. 

"Did you get breakfast?" he asked, rubbing his tired eyes. 

"Not hungry" she replied, shoving her feet into her pair of all black converse. 

Rian and Violet left the house and silently walked to school, still tired and dreading the start of the new school year. It took them almost 20 minutes and they were supposed to be in class at 8:05.

Rian waved goodbye when they got inside the school in search of his own homeroom, Violet pulling out the time table she'd picked up last week at their registration. It said that her home room was in room 154. Walking down the hallway, she could tell she was going to be late, most people had filed into their classrooms already. After searching around and finally reaching the correct room, she opened the door and walked inside, feeling like every pair of eyes in the classroom was on her.

She looked down, not at all wanting to be the centre of attention. Making her way to the back of the classroom she found an empty desk and slid in, waiting for the teacher to quiet the class down and make whatever home room announcements he had to.

"Psst, Violet!"

Violet whipped her head around to see Jack leaning out of his desk trying to get her attention.

"Hey" she whispered back, turning around to face the front again so as not to attract any attention. 

"Class" the teacher said as he closed the classroom door, trying to get the students to quiet down. "This is your homeroom class as I'm sure you're aware. Its nice to have all of you here! Now I'm sure you know that I have to get into all of the boring stuff first..."

And with that statement, Violet's mind began to wander. She didn't feel like listening to all of the things she knew he was going to talk about like school rules and policies, how they were now in the eleventh grade and needed to put forth the effort bullshit.

She picked at the hem of her shorts, wondering how the rest of the day was going to go. It was nice that she at least knew one person in her homeroom. She was unsure of how things were going to be with Rian's friends, they were at the house all the time but over the past week she'd been kind of avoiding everyone, trying not to leave her room unless she needed too.

The pain from losing her mother was beginning to make her feel numb, like it could't even be possible. Like she was going to wake up from this nightmare eventually so nothing really mattered. It didn't matter that she was ignoring her father's attempts to do things with her, that there was more to life than laying in her bed and wasting countless hours trying to forget everything that had happened leading up to her mom dying.