Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"I thought we came out here to hunt and camp, not sit in the back of your truck" I laid closely beside Daryl, his arm around me with my head against his chest as I stared up at the thousands of stars in the dark night sky.

"We'll get to it" Daryl replied as he gently brushed his hand up and down my arm

I smiled and rolled over so I was stradling him. I stared into his bright blue eyes that were unusually happy.

"What are you thinking?" I whispered

His eyebrows knit in confusion at my question and he put on his concentration face, one of the cutest things I've ever seen. 

"Ye." He answered simply

"What about me?" I urged

"How lucky I am to have ye."

I let out a noise that was something inbetween a scoff and a laugh "You're so damn corny"

"I mean it. No one has ever cared about me as much as ye, most people write me off as redneck trash"

"Y'know in the beggining we were all but forced to be friends with eachother because no one wanted us." I paused "But I saw more to you than redneck trash. And the hard ass act. I saw something no one else has taken the time to notice."

"And what would that be?" He mused

"I saw you, the real you. The sensitive you, the compasionate you, the strong you, the protective you." I finished as I leaned down and gently pressed my lips to his.

"Yer pretty damn special too y'know." He concluded after our lips broke apart.

I didn't press him on why I was special because I knew he has trouble expressing his emotions and turning them into words.

 "So, are we going to hunt or what?" I asked

He flipped us so he was hovering over me. "I have something a little different in mind" He replied as he crashed his lips to mine

I awoke gasping for breath like it was bad dream, but it wasn't. It was just a sweet memory that  I don't care to recall.  I looked around the room to see that almost everyone was asleep, the only person who wasn't around was Maggie, who was probably with Glenn. I stretched all my aching limbs before quietly stepping over all of the sleeping bodies and headed out the door. I started walking around the chain link fence that surrounded us, seeing what was beyond it. Most of the area was dense forest, but right behind the facility was a small meadow with a tiny pond branching off the side. Easy access to fresh water.  I thought to myself as I circled the rest of the fence to see what the men accomplished overnight. I was greeted by mountains of stuff, all different kind of things, there were boxes and garbage bags and storage bins yet to be explored, a couch here, a mattress there, tables, children's toys that must have long outgrown their previous owners, chairs, old TVs, clothes, Christmas and Halloween decorations. 

"Anything I can help with?" I asked loudly

"I thought Hershel told you to stay off that leg." Rick replied

"Ugh" I huffed as I plopped myself down into one of the many scattered chairs. "Now what?"

"Why don't you look through some boxes"

I nodded and pulled them over to me. Books, Magazines, China, and many other things occupied the no longer interesting boxes. I lifted myself from the chair and started wandering around where they had already cleared. Only four units lay empty. I walked into the second one and let my body slide down the back wall until I was sitting with my knees to my chest. The cool concrete felt nice on my skin, relieving it of the intense Georgia sun. I closed my eyes and leaned my head back, enjoying this moment of peace. I now realize how much I miss being alone with just myself and my thoughts. I could run away, leave the group in the night and know no one would miss me, except maybe Sophia, she'd get over it, losing people in this world is a normal occurrence. But I know I can't do that to the little girl I made a silent promise to. I sighed and opened my eyes again,  letting my head flop to the side. A small piece of plastic laying in the corner caught my eye. I scooted over and inspected it, my eyes widened in surprise. A little baggie of pot with a few rolling papers inside. I quickly snatched it up and tried to act casual as I passed the others, I plopped myself down right in front of the meadow I'd discovered earlier and rolled myself a joint, I pulled out the lighter I always carry with me and lit it up, taking on long drag and holding for a few seconds before slowly letting it go. I sighed in contentment.