Chapter Five (Tino's POV)

I twirl the blue flower in my fingers. Pretty. I found it in the garden the other day. My parents didn't understand my excitement. Then again, of course they wouldn't see anything special about it. I know this because they've told me their eyes are brown. I guess it's kind of weird that they don't know what mine are. I wonder if they're also brown?

I love this particular shade of blue. It's light and reminds me of happy things. It makes me wish I could finally meet my soulmate. I get snapped out of my daydream by my phone vibrating. I pick it up. It's my friend Mathias texting me.

M: TINO I FOUND IT
T: ?
M: IN THE HALLWAY ON MY WAY TO HISTORY!!!
T: Found what? What did you lose recently?
M: I SAW BLUE EYESSSSSSSS
T: :O!!!!!
T: Who??!!
M: I don't know, just some random boy. But it was noticeable because there's not much blue stuff in the halls.
T: Mathias, you must find him again!
M: I know, I know.
M: I'm gonna pay more attention from here on out
T: Alright
T: I wish I could find my own blue eyed soulmate too... ;-;
M: Don't worry man
M: You'll figure it out someday
T: I sure hope so! :/
M: I know so!
M: Anyways, I have to do homework. I just needed to share that milestone with you first
T: Okay, bye~

I put my phone back on my desk and cross my arms. Mathias found his soulmate too. Barely, but at least he knows that he goes to our school. I don't even have that much luck. And we can see the same color too! That makes it feel even more unfair.

"Tino, dinner!" It's my mom from downstairs. Dad's still at work. I carefully set my flower back on my desk.

Me and Mom eat our spaghetti in silence. After a while, she breaks it. "How was your day, dear?" she asks. We aren't good at small talk.

"Normal, I guess," I say and debate on whether to mention Mathias or not. After an awkward pause I add, "Mathias saw his soulmate for the first time today."

She beams. "That's lovely! He's such a friendly boy. He deserves it. Did they actually meet or did he just get a glimpse of them?"

"Just a glimpse. He noticed him in the hallway today."

"Have you happened to seen yours yet?" she asks gently. She knows this is a touchy subject for me.

"No. It's been the same every day, Mom. Nothing," I say and sigh. She places her hand on mine.

"Don't worry about it. You'll find them when the time is right. And it's not that big a deal. You've got a whole life ahead of you."

I've been losing hope every day. I sure hope she's right.