Chapter Eleven (Mathias' POV)

Maybe if I walk a different path, he'll be more likely to notice me. I've been trying to come up with a plan to get my soulmate to pay attention to me. I've see him in the hall all week, but he never looks at me. It's torturous.

The bell rings and science comes to a close. Here it is, time to go to history! I collect my things as quickly as I can. Then I make my way down the hallway.

In our school, specific classes are crowded into certain hallways. We don't have many students, so it works fairly well. One is for math, another for history, and a third for science. The 4th has a few random classes in it and the English hall is somewhere else in the school. This causes there to be one central area you go through to get to the other hallways. That's where I've been seeing my soulmate.

And sure enough, I see him. But this time he's heading into the bathroom. I decide to go in myself. That's not too obvious. My heart beats faster as the boy I've been chasing after the past few days is standing at the mirror, oblivious to my presence. His eyes are as blue as ever. He's smoothing out his hair, which persists on curling at the ends. He takes a clip shaped like a cross out of his pocket and puts it in his hair.

After a while he turns to me. "What are you doing, just standing the-oh." He blinks rapidly for a brief moment and quickly turns back to the mirror.

"Hi. I've seen you in the halls all week but I've never gotten a chance to speak to you," I admit sheepishly.

"So you know..." he murmurs, "How much have you seen?"

"What do you mean? Well, I've seen your eyes every time I see you, so about five times, maybe?" I make an estimate. He rolls his eyes.

"I'm not referring to the stupid soulmate thing, dummy. I'm talking about the magic," he says as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"Magic?"

"Wait, you haven't seen it?" he grimaces. "I'm an idiot. Forget I mentioned it."

"Uhh, I'm confused. What do you mean by magic?" He waves his hand towards the door.

"Don't be late. There's only about 2 minutes left until the bell, right?"

I gasp. I pride myself on having no tardies. "Let's continue this later! Bye!" I exclaim. I'm about to open the door and hurry out before the guy grabs my arm.

"Be careful, Mathias. This world's not as it seems. Shut up about me, or else there will be consequences," he whispers the warning.

"What's your name?" I ask.

He hesitates for a moment and removes his hand from me. "...Lukas. Watch out." And then a cloud of blue smoke poofs up from nowhere and when it fades away, Lukas is gone.

"Wait! How did you know my name...?"