Chapter Nineteen (Tino's POV)

I sit down at the lunch table that is empty besides my soulmate and prepare myself. Sure, Berwald is right next to me, but we don't know each other that well. We did just meet over the weekend, although we spent a lot of time together then. But he doesn't talk much. 

The main reason I'm not sitting with my friends today? Well that's because Mathias finally messaged me for the first time in two months. Jerk. He told me I have to sit with him today because we need to talk. 

It's about time he actually remembers I exist! And it's also about time that I get an explanation for his behavior! "Don't be nervous," Berwald tells me. "This guy is your friend." 

"Correction, was," I say. I make sure to make it loud enough that Mathias can hear me when he sits down. Normally he would sit right next to me, but he makes sure not to this time. Three other people trail behind him. 

"I wasn't aware you were bringing your new friends," I say. I narrow my eyes. 

"Come on Tino, don't be like this," Mathias pleads. "It seems you've gotten new friends too, from what I've heard." He gazes at my usual table, a few tables away, then at Berwald.

"They're not involved," I retort. "At least I didn't completely abandon my best friend with no warning and never speak to him again!" The boy next to Mathias hits him on the shoulder.

"I didn't say you could never speak to him! Just that you have other things to focus on!" he scolds. 

"Sorry Lukas," Mathias rubs his shoulder with a wince. "You hit hard."

"You should be apologizing to Tino, not me." 

"How do you know my name?" I ask. What has Mathias said about me to these strangers?

"Mathias talks about you, like, all the time," one of the other boys says. He passes a cookie to the boy next to him, who takes it, bites it, and passes it back. Weird.

"What does he say?" I demand.

"That you're really great," the boy says and lowers his voice. "I think he thinks you're better than Lukas."

"I heard that," the boy next to Mathias, who I realize is Lukas, says. 

"Oh..." I feel guilty for trash-talking Mathias behind his back. "Why did you want to talk to me again all of a sudden? I thought you moved on from our friendship."

"Well, we have something to ask of you," Mathias says. "What color do you see again? Blue?" 

"Yeah." I can't believe he forgot. 

"Have you happened to have met your soulmate in the time since we've last seen each other?" 

"That's none of your business." I stiffen and do my best to avoid looking at Berwald. 

"It's him, isn't it?" Shoot. Is it really that obvious?

"How'd you know?" I ask quietly. 

"He's the only friend you brought with you. The others are all at their usual place. Speaking of which, looks like they're really getting into some conversation they're having." Francis is practically out of his seat and Lovino and Antonio seem to be arguing. Antonio is clearly winning and is also stealing some of Lovino's food. Kiku and Alfred are trying and failing to not make it obvious that they're flirting with each other. Gilbert looks like he has a headache. Nothing unusual there. 

"Well fine. You've got me there. Get to your point. I'm not going to live forever." I cross my arms.

"Tino, you're acting different. Those guys are rubbing off on you," Mathias sounds a bit hurt. "Anyways, I'm thankful you and Berwald already met. It makes the overall process a lot simpler." 

"Now you're the one acting different. How do you know his name?" I ask. Lukas raises his hand but says nothing. 

"I have my resources. Basically, you see blue and he sees purple, right?" Mathias continues. I nod. What kind of freaky resources are these?  "Good. That's all we needed to know. I'll text you when we need you two again. It might be a while. Actually...are any of your tablemates soulmates?" 

I already know who all their soulmates are, but I don't want to spill that. "Yes, but I'm not saying who."

"If you ever decide to, let me know. It could really simplify this even further. Of course we can always figure out the answer ourselves easily." He waves. "You can go back to them now. We've got private matters to discuss." 

I clench my fists and stand up. It's clear that Mathias no longer wants anything to do with me, besides making me and my friends pawns in whatever this stupid plan of his is. 

"We're going. I see that I'm not welcome in your new friend group. You're not welcome in mine." I look at Berwald and he stands up too. I lead him to my normal table before Mathias can protest. I don't want to see his stupid face again. 

He's officially my ex-best friend.