Chapter 18

Ryan

I walked through the streets and just thought about everything. Brandie was my guardian angel, but she wasn't actually alive. She wouldn't be able to go back to music or soccer without major explanations. Even then she wouldn't ever be able to do anything like she used to. Maybe being dead would be better for her. Now she's just living in an existence where she basically has to hide from everyone else. How can she live like that?

And it's all because of me. Because I needed a guardian angel. She can't be happy in heaven because of me. Because I'm stupid and clumsy. She'll never be able to do anything ever again without being questioned. It'll all be my fault.

Brandie is my best friend and I'd do anything for her, and I just ruined her life. I love Brandie, I always have, and now I'm the cause of her having to use her last chance at life hiding from everyone.

Eventually I found myself at the orphanage. All the kids were adopted so it shut down. I walked into the abandoned building and I walked up to Brandie's old room. I remember how much time we spent in here. The stupid games. The stolen kisses. The promises. The cuddling. The growing up. The nostalgia hit me like a bus and I walked over to her old nightstand. I sat down in front of it and opened the bottom drawer. Naturally it was empty. I ran my fingers along the bottom until I found it. The hidden latch. I pulled it open and a dust bomb exploded.

I coughed and used my hand to fan the dust away before reaching into the shallow compartment. I pulled out the old ring box and smiled. The black felt was faded, and the gold latch chipped. Getting it open was probably the hardest things I've ever had to do. Once it was open I looked at the old promise ring. Brandie's birthday was the day I was going to give it to her. Then the car accident happened and she forgot about me. So I left t hidden here, hoping she'd find it. Hoping she'd find it and remember me. But that didn't happen.

So I stopped hoping no that she'd love me again. I moved on. But when I saw her at Pete's house, I remembered how I never stopped loving her. Everything that had happened came flooding back. All I wanted to do was to hold her and tell her how much I love her. But I couldn't do that.

When I left Panic! Brandie and I still stayed in touch, but we didn't hang out as much or talk as much as we used to. That killed me. Even though I was dating, and then engaged to Gabby. I love her, I really do, but I'll always love Brandie more. And Brandie will always love Pete.

The promise ring was heavy in my pocket as I climbed out the window and onto the fire escape. The rings of the ladder creaked as I climbed up to the roof.

Ah the roof. The roof where I told Brandie I was in love with her. The roof  where we escaped everything for hours as a time. The roof where we had or first kiss. This roof held so many memories. This building did. It held so much happiness, but it also held so much pain and suffering. It made sense that I found myself up here.

My legs dangled over the edge and I stared at he promise ring. Everything was silent until I heard Brandie's soft voice,

"Hey Ry."

I didn't turn to look at her. I kept staring at the ring. She continued,

"Gabby' gonna love that ring."

Another arrow pierced my heart. Still I didn't respond.

"How come you're up here?"

Silence.

"Ryan are you alright?"

Nothing.

"Hey, Ry, you're scaring me. What's wrong?"

With an inaudible sigh I whispered, "The ring isn't for Gabby."

Brandie didn't respond and I continued, "It's for you. I bought it for you years ago. I was going to give it to you on your birthday but then you and your dad got into the accident."

For the first time of the night I turned and looked at Brandie. Her blue eyes were full of emotion. Her long light brown hair was fanned out and waving in the wind. She looked as beautiful as ever.

She looked confused and I explained, "We were dating before you got into the accident Brandie. We had been for almost two years. So I was going to give you this promise ring. But then that stupid accident made you forget everything."

Brandie was silent and I whispered, "And I still love you. I never stopped." 

Without thinking about anything else and without hesitation, I kissed her. And she kissed me back.

---Author's Note---

Hiya

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays f you don't celebrate Christmas (I don't wanna offend anyone)!! Sorry I haven't updated in forever (I feel really bad about it) but I didn't have any real ideas and then I did! So yeah. Anyways I'm gonna try and start writing and updating more frequently! Sorry again! Love you guys and thanks for putting up with meeeee!

Love,

Melissa 💝