Chapter 9

Ryan's pov --when they were 13--

Brandie laughed and we ran through the empty streets. The air was cool, and the distant smell of the past rain hung in the air. 

Suddenly, Brandie stopped and exclaimed, "Holy crap!" 

I almost rammed into her, but manage dto stop in time demanding, "What the hell?" 

She pointed to a small kitten and my gaze softened. I watched as she gently moved forward and picked up the kitten. It had a gash on it's side and it was past out. 

Brandie spun around rushing, "Ry, I need to get her back to your house. If they find out that we snuck out of your house and we go back there they'll kill me. I need to help this kitten!" 

My eyes widened and I nodded rushing, "Okay, but we need to make sure that my mom doesn't find out until we have the kitten stitched up alright? Oh and my neighbor's a vet and gave us animal medicine stuff when her cat died and we had one for 4 months. We have pain killers, and antibiotics. Are you sure you can stitch that wound and disinfect it right?" 

Brandie just gave me a sassy eye roll as we ran hissing, "Yes! I did like all of my middle school community service hours at the shelter!" 

I couldn't help but notice how she was holding the kitten tight enough so that it wouldn't fall out of her arms, but not so tight that it didn't have room to move. It looked really comfortable and infact was purring slightly as Brandie gently and carefully scratched behind it's ears.  

---

As soon as we got to my house Brandie set up an 'operating room', aka my bathroom, before gently cleaning the cat's side. We then identified the kitten as a girl and decided to temporarily name her Midnight. We did find her at midnight, so it seemed fitting. 

Brandie then gave Midnight some pain meds and stitched up her side cleanly, and perfectly. She then gently cleaned her fur and set up an extremely comfy looking bed of pillows, soft blankets, and old plushies. Brandie then made me get 2 bowls, put canned tuna in one, and water in the other. 

Midnight was asleep, and we carefully, and very quietly, shut my door and placed a soft blanket over Midnight before we changed. 

Brandie climbed into my bed, and I sat next to Midnight who meowed quietly. I then gently picked her up and placed her at the foot of my bed. I then made sure that there was padding around her before climbing in my bed next to Brandie and falling asleep. 

---

When I woke up, I noticed Brandie laughing. So I looked at what Midnight was doing, and saw that she was playing with Brandie's left out makeup. I love this cat. I am so keeping her forever.