Chapter 2

Ryan's pov --long long ago--(memory)

Brandie giggled and I clamped a hand over her mouth signalling for her to be quiet. Gosh! If she doesn't want our parents to find us then she needs to be quiet! 

After a while their foot prints stopped and the light switched off. I took Brandie's hand in mine before pulling her quietly out the back door. Once we got a few minutes away from the house I laughed quietly, 

"You're so bad at hiding! If it wasn't for me then they woulda found us!"

She rolled her eyes snapping, "Shut up!"

I laughed and started jogging while holding her hand. That made her stumble along behind me whisper yelling at me.

Once we were about a mile away she started yelling at me and hitting my arm. Of course I just laughed. I've been best friends with her since we were 1, and now we're about 14 and sorta dating. I don't know. We kiss sometimes to get the other to shut up. I dont know what you call that.  

 As soon as we got to the tree house I  climbed up the ladder and started setting up blankets and pillows on the floor. By the time Brandie got up I was finished and started playing My Chem. She laughed and picked up her acoustic bass and my guitar. I laughed as she started playing along. 

After a second she laughed, "Dumbo, c'mon play with me! And you must sing with meeeeee!" 

I groaned but did it anyway. 

-------

We finished playing and Brandie rested her head on my shoulder muttering, 

"I miss this when I'm in the orphanage." 

I hugged her tight whispering, "So do I. It's all gonna work out. I mean I'll see you at the cabin later this weekend. I mean your dad's picking you up tomorrow after soccer. 

She nodded and nuzzled her face into my neck before slowing drifting to sleep. 

--the next day--

I ran into the emergency room with my mom trailing behind me yelling at me to slow down. I got to the desk demanding, 

"What room is Brandie Patterson in!?" 

The nurse look at a sheet replying lazily, "ICU room number 4." 

I thanked her before running through the doors to her room. Brandie was all busted up. I gripped her hand and kissed her forehead muttering, 

"You'll be okay. Don't worry Brandie I won't leave you."

Her eyes fluttered open and she sat up demanding, "Where's my dad? Who are you?"