Lights

December 21st

Maya was almost embarrassed by how much effort she was putting into her appearance tonight. She had on a little black dress and black boots, and added a long black coat before leaving the house. She had butterflies all the way to Lucas's apartment.

"Woah. Sorry, uh...woah," Lucas said with wide eyes when he opened the door to find Maya all done-up with baby on her hip.

"Thanks...I think. Here," she handed him April and the bag with all of her things in it.

"Am I allowed to ask where you're going?" Lucas said as Maya moved back towards the door.

"You can ask, but I don't have to tell you. We're not married, Huckleberry. Don't forget that," Maya winked as she turned to leave.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Lucas called after her, but she was already gone.

Maya waited for about three minutes before he showed up.

"No baby?" Josh asked as he approached her.

"She's not attached to me you know. Not anymore," Maya laughed.

"Ready to go?" he asked.

"Sure."

They started to walk and Maya was unsure of where they were going, but continued walking regardless.

"You look amazing, by the way," Josh told her.

"Aw, thanks," Maya said insincerely, as if she didn't believe him.

"So I figured we could get something to eat and then just take a walk. Sound good?" Josh told her.

"Sure," Maya affirmed.

They arrived at a small, casual restaurant on the corner of a street Maya didn't recognize. They were seated at a small table that was almost tucked away from the rest of the restaurant. Maya felt very grown-up being out to dinner like this. She was starting to feel a little out of her depth.

"I don't think I've ever been out like this with anyone before," Maya mumbled, blushing.

"I don't think I've ever been out like this with anyone like you before," Josh smiled.

"Why did you ask me out?" Maya blurted without thinking.

"I wanted to get to know you. You've always intrigued me, Maya. At first it was the age thing that was in my way, but, hell, you have a baby now. You're far from a little kid. Once I realized that, I thought why not get to know you?" he explained.

"And why would you wanna take out a girl who has a baby at home?" Maya questioned as the waiter poured their water.

"Look Maya, I'm not trying to marry you. We're just out for dinner. Relax," he smiled.

"Sorry. So how's college?" Maya asked before nervously sipping her water.

"It's alright. Some of the classes are pretty boring. I've got some good friends, though."

They chatted back and forth for a while and ate their meals. When it was time to go, Josh paid the cheque. Maya offered to pay half, but he wouldn't hear of it. As they left the restaurant, Maya couldn't stop thinking about a particular problem that she hadn't yet told anyone about. In that moment, she felt like she just couldn't keep it in anymore. She had to tell someone.

"Hey, can I tell you something just for the sake of telling you? Like, I'm not looking for advice or anything. I just need to tell someone that isn't Lucas or my mom," Maya asked.

"Go for it," Josh responded.

"I lost my job. I got fired. I don't have a job anymore," Maya rambled, running her sentences together.

"You're kidding. How'd you get fired?" he asked.

"They just didn't like that I had a baby. The boss would get mad every time Lucas showed up a few minutes early with April. It's probably for the best. It wasn't gonna last," Maya said.

"And you haven't told Lucas?"

"Nope. He's gonna freak out," Maya sighed.

"Well, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll get another job," he reassured her.

"Yeah, I hope so."

They walked around for a while, looking at all the pretty Christmas lights. Suddenly, Maya felt Josh take her hand as they walked. It was a strange sensation. It felt like they were an actual couple. The kind that live together and have jobs and take walks to look at Christmas lights on a Monday night. Maya caught herself smiling at the thought of it.

It was gone as soon as it came. Josh let go of Maya's hand and walked over to a store window.

"Hey, check this out. Maybe you could work there," he said, pointing to a "help wanted" sign.

Maya followed him over and read the sign. She typed the given phone number into her phone and then looked at the display in the window. The store was closed but she could stills make out a few of the items. It was a clothing store she'd never been in, but judging by what they had in the window she couldn't understand why not.

"I'll call them tomorrow. It's getting late, I should probably get home," Maya said, seeing the time on her phone.

"I'll walk you home," Josh offered.

*****************************************************************************************************

They stood outside Maya's door in the dim hallway lighting.

"Thanks for tonight. It was really nice," Maya said.

She really meant it, too.

"My pleasure. Oh, and since I probably won't see you before Christmas, here."

He handed her a small box covered messily in Santa wrapping paper.

"Josh, you didn't have to-" Maya started.

"Merry Christmas, Maya," he said.

Without warning, he leaned in and kissed her. Maya was surprised at first, but then began to kiss him back. She put her hands on his shoulders and felt his move onto her waist. He pulled her in closer and she ran her fingers through his hair. When they finally broke apart, Maya quickly opened the door and stepped into her apartment.

"Merry Christmas, Josh," she said right before closing the door.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A/N: Joshaya or Lucaya?