Christmas Eve

December 24th

Maya got up early to finish wrapping the last of her presents. She had bought as much as she could with the money she had, which still wasn't much. She'd known she had to get Lucas something, but it took her forever to think of something. She'd ended up getting him a nice watch and a framed photo of the two of them and April the day she was born. Maya wasn't particularly sentimental, so even the photo was a stretch. Nevertheless, it was an easy, cheap gift and she knew Lucas would love it.

April cried all morning and Maya kept having to suspend her wrapping to console her. It started out being for actual reasons; first she was hungry, then she needed to be changed. But after a while Maya didn't know what to do, nothing seemed to be calming her.

"What's the matter, baby?" Maya asked as she tried to rock April and calm her down.

"Come on, it's Christmas Eve! How come you're so sad?" Maya whispered as sat on the floor with the baby.

Just as April was drifting off in her crib, Maya's phone rang. It was Riley. Maya had to swallow a scream as she answered the phone while simultaneously trying to pick up an awoken and upset April.

M: Hello?

R: Hey! You and Lucas are still coming over later, right?

M: Uh...uh...sure

R: You sound distracted. What's wrong?

M: You just woke up my kid, Riley. That's why I'm distracted.

R: Oh, oh I'm really sorry Maya. I can call back later.

M: No, it's fine. We may as well talk now. I don't know if Lucas and I are coming over later. I'll have to talk to him. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

R: Okay, sound good.

M: I'll talk to you later, Riley.

Maya hung up the phone and flopped down on her couch, baby in her arms. Then there was a knock at the door. She knew who it was immediately.

"Come in, it's open," Maya shouted.

"You okay?" Lucas asked, seeing Maya sprawled out on the couch.

"This is the most stressful Christmas of my life," Maya sighed.

"This is the most stressful year of my life," Lucas sighed back, moving Maya's legs to sit down, and then putting them back over him.

"Do you really regret it? Keeping her?" Maya asked, starting to tear up.

"No. I don't. I didn't mean to say that yesterday. I just meant..." Lucas trailed off.

"We're just kids," Maya finished.

"Yeah."

"Look, Lucas, I know what you meant because I feel it too. I'm scared all the time. I'm tired all the time. I don't even like talking to other people or going out anymore because it's just easier to stay here where it's safe and I can control everything. I'm just a kid. I can't handle this. But here's the thing: I have to. I made a decision that I wouldn't change even if I could. I don't have the time or the energy to play "what-if". I don't think about how hard it is to get through a day, I just do it. If you can't take it, get out now. I'm giving you an out, so take it while you can. I don't want your help if you don't really wanna give it," Maya told him.