Staying

A/N:

In this story, Wally never died. I couldn't write this without him in it!

Nightwing had left the Team for multiple reasons. 

1.) He had screwed up BIG TIME 

2.) He could tell they were good without him

3.) Bludhaven required LOTS of attention

So, what was the point? Really. He had left the Team almost nine months ago. He hadn't talked to anyone who he used to know in eight months. 

Dick was an officer in training for Bludhaven's police, and he was Nightwing, which meant NO REST. He was lucky to get in 3 hours of sleep! 

Nightwing was doing some investigating of a drug deal one night, hiding by the docks. He slipped in the warehouse, he fought off as many guards as he possibly could.

 Nightwing was doing pretty good until a new wave of guards came in. With large guns. They started to shoot at him.

Nightwing quickly dodged as many as he could. Which was most of them, not all. He yelled as a bullet pierced his side. Deeply. 

He would've been dead if it wasn't for the arms that pulled him down into a tight hold. He heard shouts and fighting grunts.

He realized it was Conner protecting him. As soon as the bullets stopped, Conner let go of him. Dick was bleeding heavily from his side.  Groaning as pain enveloped his mind. 

He let his eyes close, and inhaled deeply. Before he knew it, his old Team was crowding around him. "Nightwing, are you OK?" Robin asked.

Nightwing inhaled deeply and nodded his head. "We're going to get you outta here," Wally said. Dick winced as Superboy lifted him into his arms. 

"Nightwing!" Beast Boy shouted as he and the other youngest members made their way over to him. 

"Bo-- Nightwing, oh no!" Wondergirl said, stopping herself just in time. Aqualad was their boss now, she had to remind herself.

Dick heard frantic voices, it made no sense to him. He let the comforting darkness consume him. 

~*~

Waking up was quite the experience for Dick. His eyelids felt heavy, even though he tried to open them, he couldn't. 

He felt something weighing his arm down, along with something else on his legs and many things weighing down the sides of the bed he was on. 

Dick desperately tried to open his eyes, trying to remember what had happened. No matter how hard he tried he couldn't.

That was, until, he heard a voice. A familiar voice that made him feel angry and guilty at the same time. Him and Bruce hadn't really been getting along lately and well... 

Dick suddenly found the strength to open his eyes and look straight into his father's face. "Hi Dick," Bruce answered combing a hand through his son's hair. 

Dick smiled softly. He stared at Bruce, he felt so uncomfortable because he had just proven to Bruce that he was still a kid who needed to  be rescued every ten minutes. 

"Look around you," Bruce whispered to Dick. Dick looked around him and noticed the weight was that of his team. 

Tim, Cassie, Gar, Jaime, Bart, Babs.... All of them. Dick took in a shaky breath as he noticed that everyone else was in there too, sitting in chairs around the room.

Dick felt so selfish.... He left them because he couldn't deal with himself. What if they had been killed? He couldn't leave them again... 

They still needed him. 

He would stay until he was sure they would be alright. 

Dick looked up at Bruce, "Thanks," he whispered. 

"You're welcome," Bruce answered softly.