Chapter 41

I am so sorry you guys! My health has been very sucky lately (I was actually in the hospital and missed classes for a few weeks). But I'm starting to have better days here and there thanks to my medicine and I will hopefully be able to get back to writing again! Another short chapter but I figured it was better than nothing! Please accept my apologies and enjoy!

Cheyenne

We quickly got into a line along the half court line, three of us on the line and one more towards the basket to get the ball after. We would rotate through so everyone had to get the ball.

I started out as the ball returner and Mandie was first, then Shelby, then Jenny. They were all partially serious, want to get the ball in before everyone else. As Mandie dribbled the ball, she crouched a bit, and when she shot the ball she jumped at the same time. She came short, but got about three feet from the basket, which was impressive, especially for her being so young.

I grabbed the ball from the air and tossed it to Shelby as I made my way next to Jenny in line. Shelby had a similar technique to Mandie, and she also got rather close to the basket. When Jenny went, instead of dribbling and shooting, she took the ball and just pulled her arm back and threw it towards the basket.

She bounced it off the rim of the basket and they all erupted in shocked gasps and cheered for her. I was too shocked to do anything. How was she strong enough to get that close? She's so small!

"Good job Jenny!" I told her and then the ball was passed to me as everyone got serious again. They all looked at me, ready to see what I could do. It felt like I was trying out for a sports team back in high school again.

I smiled lightly as I lined myself up to the basket, standing just behind the line. I dribbled the ball a bit, then spun it in my hands.

I held the ball the way I had learned to as a child, and crouched, keeping my eyes on the basket.

I pushed upward both my legs and arms, and released the ball, sending it towards the basket.

I was shocked as I watched it hit the back of the rim, and bounce out of the basket.

How on earth did I manage to get it that close to making the basket? They all shouted cheers to me and I had to laugh, they were so excited for something that didn't really mean anything.

I looked at them and realized that they didn't look that tired, and I didn't feel tired either. The sun had begun to go down, so we had been played almost all day, and we weren't sweaty at all. That definitely wasn't normal, at least for me.

When they saw the sun was setting each of them groaned, and Shelby explained that they weren't allowed out here after dark.

"Well, we better get back then," I told them, shuddering slightly from the idea of going back in that house.

~~

As we walked back up the dirt trail, and the sky started to lose more light, fireflies were soon vibrant against the dull background of trees around us. I hadn't noticed them here before and they were so beautiful they made me stop walking to stare at them. They reminded me that even when you're going through something awful, nature doesn't change. It remains the same, waiting for you to be okay and get back to who you were before.

They reminded me of hope, and I wasn't going to forget it again.