Chapter 9

"Hey, guys! Wake up!" Syd yells at me and Ashlyn while she jumps on the bed.

Ashlyn groans. "Stop it, we're up."

"Good cuz i'm hungry so you need to make me food. Oh and are you guys dating or something?"

Syd's last comment makes me sit up. "No, why?"

"Because you were practically right on top of Ashlyn all night. And Ashlyn isn't exactly what you'd call friendly but she seems to  care about you."

Ashlyn grabs Syd's arm. "Come on, I'll cook you something." Ashlyn quickly leaves the room but I still notice that her cheeks are red.

***********

It's Saturday morning. The whole team is standing on the curb waiting for the bus to get here. We have a game in Gorham, which is about two and a half hours away. Everyone is anxious because Gorham University clearly has a better team. Even Ashlyn looks slightly nervous. But good news- she actually showed up on time for this. Now it's the bus driver that is late.

The bus rounds the corner and parks in front of us. We each step on one at a time, picking our seats. I like sitting in the front so that I can get off easily and quickly. I sit in the third row and put my earphones on. Ashlyn pauses by my seat and bites her lip. I make eye contact with her and she walks to the back of the bus.

We're only half way to Gorham and all the girls sitting around me are asleep. I was asleep until about ten seconds ago when the bus driver sneezed. Our coach is also asleep. I quickly head towards the back of the bus to see if Ashlyn is awake. She has her pillow on the seat beside her and she's bent over so her face can rest on the pillow. I debate on whether I should wake her up or go back to my seat, but when I see the bus driver glaring at me, I decide to sit with Ashlyn. I gently shake her and whisper her name. She rubs her eyes and sits up. She's adorable. Ugh, stop thinking about her Ali, seriously.

"Can I sit with you?"

Ashlyn looks concerned. "Yeah, of course. Are you okay? What happened?"

"Nothing, I'm just tired but the dumb bus driver sneezed and woke me up." I pout.

"You're cute."

I can tell that I'm blushing. "Can we go back to sleep now?" 

**********

I wake up to the noise of a bunch of people laughing. Ashlyn and I open our eyes to see the rest of the team looking at us. Sydney shows us her phone. She took a picture of us while we were sleeping. My head was resting on Ashlyn's shoulder and then Ashlyn had put her head on mine. And I was holding her hand. 

"Alright ladies, leave them alone! Get off the bus and get ready to win!"

The girls all head off and I smile at our coach, thankful that she got them to leave us alone. Syd grabs her bag and then turns around to look at us. "Still just friends?" she says as she smirks.

Note- Any ideas on what should happen next?