Chapter 2: "We Ain't Them."

We all were quiet eating. No one said anything. I really didn't like the quiet and I sure as hell didn't like when Daryl was upset with me. I watched as he was ripping through the dog meat like a bear. I took a few nibbles, I just couldn't shake that I was eating a household pet. I looked up at the sky judging by the sun it was probably about noon now.

I finished off my food and once everyone was done we all started walking again. I walked with my head down not looking at anyone. After awhile of walking Daryl decided to go look for water again. Carol offered to go but he didn't want her to. She nudged me forward.

"Follow him..." Part of me didn't want to. I felt like he hated me after what he overheard in the woods earlier. I took a deep breath and did it anyways. He was a hunter so I was smart to not follow directly behind him. I pulled out my knife ready for anything.

I tried to be as quiet as possible. Once he sat against a tree, I stopped and waited a little before coming out of the trees. When I was just about to come out I heard sobbing. It made me cringe hearing him cry like that. It felt like there was a huge hole where my heart was. There was no way I was going to reveal myself not when he was this upset.

"You ain't quiet, you know!?" He shouts. "So just fuckin' come out, whoever you are!" So I obeyed stepping out of the woods.

"Carol told me to follow you-"

"Even though were together doesn't mean you can invade my God damn privacy!" He stands up grabbing the crossbow. Anger boiled in me, I tried to suppress it. "I'm not in the mood to talk to anyone right now."

"Fine...I just came to apologize. You came into the woods at the wrong-"

"No...I heard the whole conversation Grace Lynn!"

"Then what's the problem it could be true...?"

"You act like you don't mean shit to me!? Finding you...made me feel anything more than I ever had..." He calms down. "I've never looked at a women the way I fucking look at you." My cheeks started burning.

"How do you look at me Daryl Dixon?" I asked wiping sweat from my chest.

"Like you're my property...if anyone touched you or tried to hurt you I'd kill them. I've never thought of someone being my property." I felt my knees become a little weak.

"So even though I'm your property I can't invade your privacy? Cause you got pretty pissed about that."

"Grace I was pissed and upset. Just so you know...Beth woulda' liked you. She probably would have liked it that I found you." He drops his head.

"I'm sorry Daryl, wanna' tell me what happened...?" I walked closer to him.

"Well once we left, I was worried about you. Couldn't stop thinking about you...I was so scared to leave you behind. I was also scared to find whatever was ahead. Once we hit Atlanta everything went quick..." He stops a minute. "The there was the trade...Dawn wanted Noah but Beth wouldn't have it. She was going to kill her but Dawn pulled the trigger. Golden hair soaked in red. She was like a sister to me...I loved her. So I took my gun out and shot Dawn..." He wipes a tear from his face.

"Beth tried to kill her...?"

"Yeah, so it has nothing to do with you!? Or a motive Grace, my motive is you and it will always be you!" He puts the crossbow around his shoulders.

"I'm sorry for sneaking up-" His lips were against mine. I moaned against his mouth realizing how long I've waited for him to kiss me. He quickly cupped my face in his hands. He pulled away looking at me.

"Don't be...we should get back to the road." I nod smiling softly. As we walked back the smell of rain started to hit my nostrils. He walked in front of me.