Chapter 13: Twenty One Days

Eventually they'd let me out and taken me back to my 'normal' room. I was escorted by four soldiers and my doctor. I was no longer to be unattended, anywhere. Even the bathroom. I female soldier always stood to the far end of the room. They'd taken security to a whole nother level. They'd fixed the wiring on my door and now doctors stood outside of it day and night.

I hadn't seen Zachariah since the last time we'd talked. I suppose that's a blessing in disguise. I sat alone in the indoor park. I wanted to talk to Zane but I don't even know how to approach him. I needed to know more about my past. There had to be answers somewhere.

Perhaps Master was the one who knew all things I needed.What made him think he could keep us trapped up in this place anyway. I still didn't know what or who I was necessarily supposed to fight for. I let out a frustrated yell.

"Did I come in at the wrong time?" a voice chuckled. I looked over to see Rider walking towards me. His white wings had a slight red tint to them. What did they do to him? "Stop looking at me like a wounded pup, Bree. I'm fine. It barely hurt."

I got off the bench and carefully ran my hands through his feathers, "What did they do to you?"

"I just got punished for trying to escape. It's no big deal," he sighed.

"It is big deal. They hurt you! They keep up trapped in here," I groaned. Rider didn't respond. He just looked intently at me as I examined his injured wings."I shouldn't have helped you escape. I shouldn't have encouraged that."

"You're persuasive Bree but you're not that persuasive. It was my own choice," the corner of his mouth turned down.

I sighed and ran my hands through my brown wavy hair, "And I need to talk to Zane. He most likely wants to kill me right now-"

"What happened?"

"Oh don't even get me started. But I need his power. It's been giving me answers about what's really going on." Honestly, it was more questions. But at least they were the RIGHT questions.

Rider ruffled his wings and looked up to the high glass ceiling. "It's like we're so close to leaving, but we're just as far from it as we always have been." I nodded and followed his gaze.

"I WILL get us out of here, after I figure out what's going on," I told him. Rider put on a smile for me but I could tell he was skeptical. "Don't believe me?" He shrugged.

"I feel like we would've made it out now if it were possible." A joyful laugh filled the room as a flood of darkness entered the room. Jacob.

"Oh come on Rider. Do try to be more effervescent than that," Jacob rolled his eyes as he entered the room. I rolled my eyes. He placed a light kiss on my forehead; which in the scheme of things was a simple gesture and probably had meant nothing. Though. it was a gesture I'd never felt before. My heart quickened and I looked at him wide-eyed. Jacob didn't meet my gaze. My heart pace softened. I'm sure it meant nothing. I needed to calm down. I had bigger problems than him.

Rider was staring daggers at us as if our actions were angering. I wasn't sure why. I hadn't done anything wrong. "I have news to report," Jacob announced.

"Do tell." Rider's tone was bitter. I don't have time for drama. He needs to calm down.

"Doc said that we have four weeks. Four weeks and we're out of here, performing their dirty deeds for them." My stomach churned as I looked down at the grass. I didn't want to become their weapon. I controlled what I dood. Not them. Why did they insist on treating my people like trash? Question: since when did I start calling Elementals 'my people'? Answer: when Zane sent me back in time, it seemed like that's what I used to call them. Question: am I getting my memory back? Did the doctors intend for me to know this information?

I clenched my jaw. "No. We won't be doing anything they ask of us."

Rider frowned, "But-"

"No. We train hard from this day on. And in twenty one days, we escape."