chap 5

"So, Ivy, tell us a little bit about yourself."

"I'm eighteen. I'm determined, focused, and allergic to cold weather." Age, two strengths, and a weakness are the key elements when you're told to tell about yourself.

"Focused? How so?" Mrs. Vivo, my first period psychology teacher, asked. A few students looked bored, while most were watching me curiously. It's better to talk positively about yourself than negatively.

"I'm not one to the change subject, not one to be caught up in daydreams, not one to sleep during class, and whatever." I explained to the young teacher who eyed me closely. I, myself, was eyeing the class closely as well.

They were dressed in the same blue and grey uniform, but it was odd because I could tell there were large gaps between all their ages. For instance, it's not like in regular school where everyone in the class are the same age as you are. It was also odd because most of them looked so diverse; their features I mean. That's to be expected from an international school.

"That's nice to know." Mrs. Vivo replied with a slow nod. She then turned to the class and raised her voice, "Anyone have any question for our new student?"

In an instant, most of everyone in the class rose their hand simultaneously. I widened my eyes in disbelief. I didn't know I was this interesting.

"I wish there were this many participants when I ask questions regarding your studies." The teacher mumbled hopelessly as she scanned the plain classroom. "Frida, what's your question?"

A girl, who looked around my age with two sided ponytails abruptly stands up and asks, "So, what's your ability?"

Frida watched me anxiously and curiously, along with the rest of the class.

"Her ability is that she can turn into a rodent, since she already looks like one." said Charise with a smirk. Quiet laughter erupted throughout the classroom, but I just scoffed. I can't believe I have to wake up every morning knowing I'm going to see her face in my first period class.

"I'd prefer not to answer." I replied, which resulted in everyone sighing or rolling their eyes.

Mrs. Vivo nodded understandingly and hushed the class. "Anyone else want to ask a question?"

My eyebrows jumped in realization when no one raised their hand. So, that means they all wanted to ask me that question? Why does that even matter? Honestly, I actually felt special for a moment.

But suddenly, a hand arose and a voice followed with it. "I have a question." A boy stood up slowly as he kept glancing at the class nervously. His voice was croaky and raspy, and he looked my age as well; if not, younger. He was a bit chubby around his cheeks and body, and from where I can see, he had huge eyes.

Mrs. Vivo smiled and said, "What is it, Ben?"

Ben shifted his eyes to me and asked, "Do you like the chicken noodle soup?"

"Excellent question!" Mrs. Vivo exclaims then turns to me, waiting for an answer.

Do I like chicken noodle soup? That's a random question. "Uh, yeah. But, it's been a long time since I've had any." I replied with a tight smile.

There was a surprised look on his face. He frowned and said, "But you said you get the allergies from the cold weather. The chicken noodle soup helps a lot when you are the sick."

"I usually just take allergy medication with a glass of warm water." I responded. I kind of felt a bit awkward with just the both of us standing there basically just having casual conversation while the rest of the class are patiently waiting for this wrap up. Mrs. Vivo on the other hand seemed to be really enjoying this conversation. She was sitting on her chair with her palm resting on her chin, watching us keenly.