chap 8

My back rested firmly against my chair as I studied the words displayed on the chalkboard. Mr. Henry demonstrated the three important terms that are relevant to the understandings of ourselves. My eyes were set on the board, but my ears paid no attention. I was lost in space, contemplating whether or not I want brown rice or just fresh fruit for lunch. It's a shame the cafeteria doesn't serve meat. At least I'll be eating healthily for the meantime. Maybe I'll even drop a few pounds.

I laid my elbow on my wooden desk, positioning my chin on my palm. When is this class going to end? I feel like it's been forever.

"I said it before, and I'll continue repeating myself until each and every one of you carve these definitions upon your soul." I looked up and scoffed as I watched Mr. Henry act all dramatic like usual. "Ivy, are you mocking me?"

I rolled my eyes and replied, "I'm sorry, Mr. Henry, but-"

"It's Sir Henry to you," the middle aged man corrected sharply. "Is that what you all address your teachers back in your hometowns? I don't know if any of you are from Tewahear, but students address instructors and professors as Sir." 

"Talk about over informal," I muttered.

"How about the female teachers? Are they addressed as Sir, too?" a kid in the back shouted.

Sir Henry remained quiet for a while as he unawarely paced around the classroom. There were sounds of shuffling and occasional snickering, but quiet enough to hear his careful footsteps.

"You see," he began, "where I'm from, Tewahear, it is unfairly prohibited that any female could take role in a school, well except as a student of course.." A few gasps and comments from people who were actually listening filled the room. I, myself, was just as shocked. "Yes, yes, bicker all you want, but that's that the law. Maybe in the future, this prohibition could be censured." He then stopped at my desk without glancing at me. He was looking straight forward as he said, "Ivy, you've been here for already a month, so I expect you to have memorized the Three Nova Types."

I nodded my head. How could I have not when that's the only thing that's been coming out of his mouth the past four weeks. "I did. There are three sections in which a Nova's ability falls into. The first one is Anoma—a person who possesses creature abilities that resembles some kind of animal or element. The second one is Depri. You know someone is a Depri type if their ability is made of expression and design, athough sometimes it can be too explicit," I explained clearly, just basically reading the definitions on the chalkboard even though I memorized these explanations. "The last type is Lux. It is said be the least dangerous type because it's just sheer body deformability. There were several complaints and arguments to if Lux types belong here, but seeing how most Lux type aren't born misshapen or disfigured, or sometimes plain unusual, it was submitted to be very critical to label them as Novas. Those are the Three Nova Types that determine what category you fall into."

"Smart-ass," Frida, who was sitting in front of me, mumbled as she shifted in her seat. I bit my lips roughly to stop myself from screaming out how basically repeating what the teacher has been saying the past month makes me a smart-ass. Like, I'm sorry I pay attention?

"Well said, my dear student." Sir Henry wiped an invisible tear and added, "Very well said." Sometimes I feel like he fakes being dramatic, but as I'm gazing up at him right, he looks completely serious.

"Psht. Lux types are the least dangerous yet all you Depri and Anoma types look at us like we're mentally deranged." I turned my head and was surprised to hear Aya Kasumi actually communicate.

"That's cause you guys look plain out weird," a teenaged boy shot back.

"Says the freak that can shoot tiny knives out of his eyes," Aya retorted. To be more clear, she only communicates when she has something sassy or rude to say.