chap 11

I swayed my hips to close the cabinet as I fluffed my short, bouncy hair. The sound of the sizzling pan went from one ear to the other while I paced back and forth, throwing used dishes in the sink and wrappers in the garbage bin. Tidying up the kitchen counters, I double-checked the seasoned fries in the oven, then wiggled the chicken pieces on the pan. The constant moving made me out of breath, hence, I took at seat on the dining chair.

It was another cold night in Ain Rofilac whereas the trees waved and winds roared. Since my mother wasn't home and, in fact, trying to make ends meet, I felt like I had the responsibility, as the oldest child, to provide a meal for my little sister. It wasn't that tough since I was someone my mother could rely on. Even though money was an issue mainly because Dad was non-present, we still learned to look past that and make things work.

As soon I arose from my chair, I turned off the oven and stove. I set out the meal I prepared onto the dining table before I breathed in the delicious scent. I took off the cheap apron I was wearing and lazily threw it on the counter. Since the house is pretty small and the walls are thin, I'm pretty sure May is aware I've been cooking the past thirty-minutes due to the crispy smell and the sound of the sizzling pan. My target was to surprise her, but it's impossible in this household.

I solidly knocked then immediately barged into May's room since I couldn't control my proudness and excitement. She's definitely going to love it.

However, I was completely taken back when I witnessed May dressed in a short dress and even slight makeup on her face. For a twelve year old, she sure looks a lot more older due to her height and body structure. Unlike me, she looked older than her age because of her body, while I looked older than my age because of the dark circles under my eyes.

"What's going on?" I asked with a slight frown, walking slowly towards her and scanning my eyes around the messy bedroom.

"Nothing. I'm just going out," she replied casually as she glanced at herself in the mirror. A slight smile formed on her glossy lips as she plumped them together. I'm glad there's someone in this room with a smile on their face.

I breathed out a laugh. "Oh yeah? With whom?"

She had the audacity to look me straight in my eyes and shoot back, "Joshua."

I rose my eyebrows in shock. "Well you better tell this Joshua that you aren't going anywhere tonight." This better be some prank.

The smile on her face vanished. "No way!" she practically shouted. "We're only going to the movies."

"You wanna know what happens when a boy takes a girl out the movies?" I asked, making sure to add a haunting sound to the question.

She just winced her eyes at me and replied, "Let me guess, it rhymes with-"

"Miss!" I cut her off with my eyes wide in pure stress. "Jeez, May, it rhymes with miss." I sighed. "Besides, you're twelve."

She crosses her arms and rolls her brown eyes. "Who cares. Plus, I'm not even interested in him so you don't have to worry."

My frown deepened at her confession. "Then why're you going out with him?" Not like I'll let you even go...

She playfully winks at me as she turns around to face the mirror to straighten her pink dress. "He said the money's on him. If I continue to act like I like him, then I'll be saving the family a lot of paper!" she explains with a proud smile on her face, while my jaw dropped in horror. "He'll take me out for lunch and dinner, and probably even buy me gifts. I mean, that's what boyfriends are supposed to do." May rotates her head and grins at me. "I'm doing this to support the family. I'll be a member less to worry about."