Chapter 20

I woke up in a haze but I was in a different room. An older guy sat in the chair next to the bed sleeping. I sat up and tried to stand up but my left hand was cuffed to the bed post. I pulled on it and the metal clanking woke up the sleeping gentleman.

“Hello Tam, I’m Rod,” he reached out his hand but noticing my ‘condition’ he dropped it. “It’s come to our attention that George struck you?” He pulled out a recorder and pressed a button.

“No, he didn’t,” I stared evenly at him as confusion crossed his face.

“But George’s statement said this was caused by his striking you.”

“But striking is referring to open palmed hit, I walked into a punch thrown towards Arden. Then all of this,” I gestured to myself “was caused by my decision of acting like I was fine and walking by myself when I then fell down a flight of stairs. It wasn’t George’s fault, I usually blame gravity and pride.”

He stared at me in shock “Um, I need to make a phone call,” he started to walk out the door but then turned around and stared at me for a moment, “You look just like your mother….” Then he sighed and walked out. The door clicked and I laid back down and tried to sleep, but the smell of bleach was too strong.

“OK, I’M BETTER LET ME OUT NOW! PEST, I’M DONE, GET ME WIENERSCHNITZEL!” The door opened and Rod popped his head in. I smiled innocently “Can I be done in here now please?” He shook his head and held up a finger for me to be quiet. Then he shut the door. “UM, HELLO! I’M DONE HERE, I’M FINE LET ME OUT AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!” I started screaming at the top of my lungs when the door opened and I stopped and smiled again. “I said I was done, now let me be done.”

“Tam, George and ‘Pest’ are here to see you,” I smiled.

“Oh goody, now unlock me,” he sighed and let the boys in. “Oh goodness, you boys sure got ugly.”

They both had bruised faces as if they’d gotten into a fight. “Yea.. thanks  haha,” Pest started but got a look from George and stopped.

“So, did you guys come to bust me out or what?” They glanced at each other then the ground.

“Your grandfather thinks you should stay one more night and then Rod will take you home in the morning,” Pest mumbled.

“Why Rod?”

“He’s your guardian during ‘home hours’ and we’re your gaurdians during ‘out hours’. He doesn’t want a repeat of what happened with.. well your mom..”

“Oh.. Well they know you guys wouldn’t bail me out, right?”

“Yea, but you’re very persuasive. Much more persuasive than your mom,” Rod cut in.

“All of you leave me alone…. Except for Pest…” They all left, except for Pest. He came over and sat down in the chair. “Who is Rod..”

Pest sighed “He’s your uncle. Your moms half brother on her mothers side. Your grandfather raised him as a body guard when your grandmother died. Rod was 7 and your mother was 4. Rod protected your mother with all his might but when she fell apparently he got mad and left. He just recently came back when he was informed that you were here. Maybe he’ll protect you. I don’t know, this is all folks tale…”

“And your faces?”

“We got you hurt… so we got hurt. He is a very cruel man. Never underestimate him… No matter how much he cares for you, he will hurt you twice as bad.”