Chapter 9

- Chapter 9 -

Riker, Ratliff, Rydel and Vanessa watch Ross and Laura gaze into each others eyes.

"Umm, shouldn't we get Rocky?" Rydel asks, breaking the silence and their gaze.

Ross and Laura look to her like they weren't just staring at each other.

"What was his deal, anyway? He had such a sour face on when he walked by." Ross says.

"He's mad that he doesn't have a partner. I have to go talk to him." Riker says, getting up and heading to Rocky's room.

"Wait, for what?" Laura asks when Riker is already gone.

"Partner games." Vanessa answers.

"What? Who is...?" Laura starts but then looks at Ross. "Oh..."

"Wow, thanks for not sounding too disappointed." Ross says, sarcastically.

"No! I'm not disappointed. I'm just not surprised." Laura says, briefly touching his shoulder, but then pulling back. Rydel, Ratliff, and Vanessa were watching them.

Ross sighs. "Whatever." He says, looking away.

Laura looks sympathetically at Ross, not meaning to hurt his feelings. Crap. She hopes he isn't mad at her.

Meanwhile, Riker knocks on Rocky's closed door. "Go away." Rocky says, his voice muffled by the door.

That's Riker's cue to go in. He opens the door and leans against the door frame.

Rocky looks to him. "I just said go away. I don't feel like talking to anyone." He says.

"Dude, don't lock yourself in your room for something stupid." Riker tells him.

Rocky gets angry and stands up, facing Riker. "No, you don't know why i'm mad!" He shouts.

Riker stands silently, surprised at Rocky's change in tone.

"I'm mad because of all the girls! I'm mad that i'm always left out! I'm mad because no one ever cares!" Rocky says.

"What do you mean?" Riker asks, cautiously.

"I mean that everyone has a girl. Ratliff always had Kelly. Now, he could have Rydel. You have Vanessa. Ross has Laura and i have absolutely nobody. And you guys don't realize because you don't give any effort to care."

"We do care." Riker says.

"No, you don't! All you guys care about is getting Ross and Laura back together." Rocky says.

"Because it's important! If we don't get them back together, Ross will be screwed up the rest of his life! And god knows what will happen to Laura!" Riker says. "Rocky, we do care about you. We just haven't had the time to consider that you want a girlfriend."

"Why don't you make time, then?" Rocky yells.

"Because we don't want you to be heartbroken like Ross!" Riker yells.

Rocky calms down. "Is he really that crushed?"

Riker walks toward Rocky. "Yes, he really is. One night, he came to me when he couldn't sleep and he literally started to break down. Ross said that there was more than just a mental pain in his heart but he said that he really felt like there was a whole in his chest. Ever since, the break up, you know Ross hasn't been himself. He's trying to hide his pain. He's lost it."