Part Thirty Three

A/N Thank you all for your continued reads, comments and likes. Really makes it all worthwhile. Happy New Year to you all, lots more promised for next year, MZx

Chapter Thirty Three

Sammy stood with her arms folded and looked at the room in front of her proudly. Another one finally finished, no un-emptied boxes, no dust sheets, just furniture, knickknacks and a lived in feel. The attic spare room was still a dumping ground, but downstairs was liveable, the kitchen, dining room and lounge were almost to her liking. Admittedly there were things she'd change, colours, carpets, but they were all in her long term plans.

Glancing to her left she spotted the monitor that was silent, the other end was next to Eleanor's bed upstairs, she'd been unsettled the first few days in her new bed, but now she was back in to a routine and seemed as happy here as her mother was.

Life was great, almost.

She refused to think about Joel, this was HER time and she didn't want memories of him intruding. She didn't want anyone intruding, but unfortunately, in just ninety minutes Clifford was arriving. He'd suggested meeting in town at the hotel bar for lunch, but he'd bought her this house, he deserved to see where his granddaughter would be growing up, so she'd invited him to her home.

And in not very long.

Sammy looked into the mirror that sat above the wrought iron fireplace and groaned. She was filthy, the scarf she'd used to tie up in hair was dusty and she had smudges all over her face. And then there was her clothes.

She was at the bottom of the stairs heading for a quick shower when there was a knock at the door. With a grimace she turned and made for the front door, it was the one that no one used, and it was awkward to open. So after a few heavy tugs Sammy almost fell over when the door finally gave.

Then looked up to see the ever immaculate Clifford stood in the doorway.

"My apologies Sammy, I am rather early. I had no idea how the traffic would be, then once I'd checked in to the hotel I was too excited to see your new home..."

He left Eleanor as an unspoken word, but she knew that he was more keen to see her than the house, when she agreed that they could meet over the phone a few days earlier, she honestly thought he might cry.

She swept a hand apologetically up and down her body, "sorry, still unpacking and sorting. I wanted to have a shower..."

He laughed, "don't worry for me. I'm here before you expected me."

Smiling she stood back to let him in, "we use the side door, that's why this one is so stiff."

Passing her into the small hall he nodded, "I'll remember for next time. This place is lovely."

Leading him in to the lounge she smiled, "thanks. I LOVE it. Eleanor's asleep, and I need a shower. I'll give you the guided tour of the ground floor," she laughed at that, "it will take about ten seconds! Then you can help yourself to coffee for a few moments?"

"Perfect."

Sammy's shower was super quick, then she dressed and managed to form some sort of calm with the mess that was her hair. As she was descending the stairs she heard Eleanor stir, and the dull sounds if her moving suddenly became a direct, "MA."

Chuckling she re-climbed the stairs and scooped her out of her cot, "you ok baby girl?"

"Ma ma ma ma!" She announcer rather proudly punctuating each word with a gentle smack to Sammy's chest.