Chapter Ten

I was released from the hospital within the day I woke up, as all my tests went well and I was fit to leave. I hadn't run into Mike but Phoenix had called me to say Rob was coming to pick me up from the hospital. I had agreed, as I had no other form of transportation, and I actually wanted to see my friend. I hadn't spoken to Rob since Mike had taken me under his wing. 

I waited outside, not wanting to spend another moment in that hospital. I have no idea how long I was out for. I felt as though all the wounds Mike caused me were healed but the mental scarring would never go away. An unfamiliar car pulled up and I saw Rob inside. I went to the passenger's seat and he immediately leaned over from his to give me a hug. I smiled softly at him, which he returned.

"It's good to see you again, Ches," He said and I just wanted to hug the drummer again. Although I missed Phoenix as well, Rob isn't yelling at me about Mike as he was. "How are you feeling?"

"Mentally or physically?" I sighed and he gave me an apologetic smile as he began driving once I buckled in. 

"Both, I suppose," He decided and waited for my response, which I had to think about. I knew exactly how I felt, but the real question was whether or not I confess the truth. Perhaps Rob could become my ally, unless he takes the truth wrongly. I don't even know if Mike was truthful.

"Physically, I'm fine. I'm good. Nothing hurts, though I don't feel the same. Mentally... It's different. I feel beat up. Do you know what Mike did to me?" I asked in a small voice and his reply seemed to take forever. 

"Bits and pieces," He admitted gently and my stomach dropped a little. Just talking about the subject made me want to throw myself from the car and wait for oncoming traffic to end my life. 

"He killed Talinda. He murdered her. She tried to warn me that he was going to hurt me, but he killed her for that. Did you know that?" I said in a quiet voice, as if it were secret. 

"He said Talinda left you," He informed me, but making it clear that he wasn't choosing sides. I rested my head against the car window, feeling dazed.

"He killed her, Rob. He threw her body in the basement. He came upstairs - to my bedroom - and loomed over me for I don't know how long. I noticed him and thought everything was fine, it was just Mike after all. He... He slapped duct tape on my mouth and caressed it. I was so confused. He pinned me to the bed, whispered to stop struggling. I obeyed and he took out a knife - it was covered in Talinda's blood. He told me not to scream," My eyes teared up as I remembered the night it all happened. I didn't even look at Rob.

"You don't have to-"

"He took off the tape and started touching me. Before I knew it, he had me against the wall and bit my lip, drawing blood. He told me how sweet I was... then, he took off his pants. I tried to push away and started to cry, I was so scared, Rob. You don't understand how fucking scared I was.

"He took me to the basement... And I saw Talinda. He slit her throat. He told me she didn't suffer, let me read the note she was going to give me that explained everything. H-He pulled me away from her side and pushed me into a wall. He's so strong, Rob. He started choking me and sat on my waist. I almost blacked out when he suddenly let go and told me he loved me. Then... Then, he... He raped me," I cried out and started sobbing. Rob pulled over on the side of the road and I continued to cry. "He did it so many times, Rob. He hurt me! He fucking hurt me! Why can't you guys see that?! He tried to kill me! I don't know what month - day - or even year it is! Why can't you guys understand?!"

"Ches, stop crying. Everything will be okay, yeah? You're okay. Mike won't hurt you again. He didn't tell us everything - I know that - but he's gotten better."

"Fool me once, shame on you. But I will be fucking damned if he'll fuck me over again, Rob! The last time he was supposedly better, he tried to kill me. What about that?"

"Ches, I swear to God he's-"

"God?! Where the hell is he in all this? How could this happen? I-"

"Chester, calm down. Let me talk, please?" Rob pleaded and I simmered down almost instantly. I'm starting to forget I'm not usually this angry anymore. Mike truly is sending me back to the past - what an asshole. "You've been in a coma for three months. Mike has been in the center for two. He's gotten better and is cleared by the hospital-"

"He's not crazy, Rob! He-"

"Chester," He snapped after I interrupted him again. I hushed myself and focused on breathing again, while letting him talk. "He was cleared by the hospital and talked to us. He told us that he kept you locked away in your basement for a while - he didn't rape you. He admitted to strangling you, but that was just because he thought you were someone else."

"Someone...?" I trailed off, trying to find any hint of deception within his eyes, but I couldn't find any. 

"The rapes you think happened - the murder... It was in your coma-induced head. He locked you away, I get that must've scared you, hurt you, but he won't do it again."

"What about Sam, hmm?" 

"He didn't like that you were hurt. Talinda left you, just like Sam, so he was worked up over that. He locked you away - thinking that would make you happy - and lured Sam and took her. He threatened her, pushed her around a bit, but never laid a truly violent hand on her. He wouldn't do that. This is Mike, you know."

"I..." I was lost for words as we pulled up next to a motel. I eyed it and gazed back to Rob, not bothering to hide the fear in my eyes.

"I'm sorry, but this is where you have to stay for a while. We all thought it'd be best for you to stay away from your house for now. We paid for the room and everything, I don't want to leave, but I have to. Family and all. If you need anything, just ring one of us. Here," He gave me a key. "Your room number is etched into the key."

"Thanks," I tried to seem relatively normal as I accepted the key. I started to step out of the car. 

"I'll see you later, Chaz. Stay safe," He smiled and I closed the door, watching him leave.

I found my room and opened the door. It was small - dingy. I didn't like it, it certainly wasn't my style, but it would do. I sighed and noticed the guys brought over some of my things. I assumed Mike must've cleaned the blood out of my house and removed my wife's body from the basement. I ran a hand through my hair. 

I went into the bathroom and flinched as I saw products on the counter. I picked up a bottle of black nail-polish, setting it back down. I grabbed hair bleach and toners, next to nice shampoos and conditioners. I shivered as I left the room and dug further into my closet, seeing the type of clothes I would've found back in the early 2000s, including accessories.

Finally, I looked at the top of the dresser across the room and saw a substance in a baggy resting upon it's surface. I walked towards it and picked it up carefully, before dropping it. My eyes filled with tears, but I brushed them away angrily. 

If Mike wants Hybrid Theory Chester, I'll fucking give him Hybrid Theory Chester.