11 -START ON THE LONG PATH

Walking into the hospital I tried to calm my nerves. This was going to be a long morning.

Dr Waterson met us dead on 9am and accompanied by our transplant team co-ordinator we discussed the road ahead.

Malachi would remain on the deceased transplant donor list in the unlikely event a donor would become available in the next few months of testing.

They delicately explained the seriousness of Malachi's condition. It was hard to hear, for me old news but still hard. Poor Sol listened intently and asked questions.

Sol was to go through a thorough medical examination by Dr Waterson whilst a simple blood test to see which group he belonged in came back.

Malachi was a AB group meaning he could only receive blood and donation from another AB group, Sol had never to his knowledge ever has his blood group tested. He had always been fortunate to have great health.

Having this blood group had been part of the reason it had been more difficult to even be matched to a deceased donor. Other blood groups had two or more donor groups available to them.

As Sol had his medical exam in privacy while I went to fetch us coffee. I also took the opportunity to call Aunt Cam and check how Malachi was.

'He's fine Farah - stop worrying!' Cam told me.

'I know its just tense' I explained.

'I bet it is, how is Sol?'

'He's dealing so well. I can't believe days ago his son he never knew he had introduced himself and then to tell him he was gravely ill. This is not for the faint hearted Cam'

She could hear the anxiety in my voice. She knew as well as anyone how much rode on this. She too wanted Malachi well as much as I did.

'It will be alright, be there for him - be there for each other'

Ringing off, I realised we only had each other really. Despite all that happened and despite others loving Malachi no one loved him like his parents. Without him life wouldn't be worth living.

As I reached Dr Waterson's waiting room Sol was just coming out. He must've seen the hope in my eyes as he made a comical strong man pose.

'Picture of health'

'Are the blood results back yet?' I asked him.

'Yes, just came in as I was dressing - he's his dads son alright!' he told me elated.

Glad the coffee was already on the table I couldn't hold myself back from jumping at him to wrap my arms around his neck and hug him.

This was a great start.

As I regained my composure I pulled myself off and apologised.

'Sorry, I'm just so happy we are over the first hurdles' I told him.

'Don't apologise I am just as happy' he said smiling.

'Dr Waterson suggested we go for lunch and then we can discuss what the next steps will be'

'Sounds good' I agreed.

We decided on going to the hospital cafe as we were both anxious to get back as soon as possible to learn what was next.

Settling on a sandwich and a packet of crisps we sat and ate.

'Well look at that don't see you for years then twice in the space of a week'

We heard her before we saw her, Pheobe Hall the nurse who I saw earlier in the week was having her lunch here too.

'Hello Pheobe' I said politely.