6 - THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE UGLY TRUTH.

'What the hell are those marks on Malachis arm?' Sol demanded.

He had every right to be concerned. I turn up years later with a son he never knew he had. Now he finds marks on his little body that look like he's gone ten rounds with Mike Tyson.

'Its not what you think' I started.

'I dont really know what to think..is this why your here?' he asked.

'Yes, kind of'

'Are you running from someone..did someone do this to Malachi?'

Sol's face reflected many emotions. Concern, fear but he wasn't angry.

'No...no one did this to Malachi! Do you really think I would let anyone hurt my son!' I growled at him.

'I don't know what to think, Im sorry I didn't mean to...' he shook his head. This was hard.

'No one hurt him Sol' i confirmed.

'Those marks...where ..how?'

'Lets get Malachi back to my parents house. He will need a nap soon after all this excitement and exertion. We can talk then. I promise I will explain everything'

I put my hand on his arm to reassure him. He looked lost. He looked at my hand resting on my arm and closed his eyes.

'Ok' he agreed nodding his head.

Half an hour later we were back at my parents house and settling Malachi in my old bed for a rest.

'I want Daddy to tuck me in' Malachi told me.

Sol was stood just outside the room. He came in and I stood aside so he could sit on the bed next to Malachi.

'Hey buddy' Sol said as he sat beside him.

'See you in a bit'

Sol kissed Malachi's head and rose to walk to the door where I was waiting.

'Dad?' Malachi called.

'Yes buddy?'

'You will be back wont you?' Malachi asked Sol.

My heart was breaking. He had obviously been craving this. Having his father was the best thing for him, its the way it should have been. Guilt tugged once again at my heart.

I was just happy i didnt tell any other story to Malachi about his father. In his eyes he has always just been waiting for the time he could see his dad in the flesh. This was that time and he wasnt going to let him go again in a hurry.

'Try and stop me' Sol reassured him.

Malachis smile was huge. It was what he needed to hear. Turning on his side he settled to rest.

Once downstairs and settled in my parents lounge I couldn't avoid it any longer. It was time to tell the truth, the whole ugly truth.

'Malachi hasn't been hurt by anyone...its by something'

Sol looked at me confused. His shoulders where hunched, tense he was bracing himself fo what I had to tell him.

'I don't understand' he replied.

I started to sob. I've never had to really say it out loud to anyone non professional before. Certainly not another human being who could potentially love him as much as I do.

Looking up at Sol, eyes filled with tears he waited patiently for me to start.

'He is sick'

'Sick?' Sol asked.