14 - THE CHOICES WE MAKE

Angela was stood on my doorstep.

Why could she possibly be stood on my doorstep?

'Hello?'

Weak, but all I could muster given the mini heart attack that was happening in my chest.

She stood there dressed in a business suit and briefcase in hand. It looked like she was going to serve me with papers.

'Farah? Farah Lock?'

She spoke confidently. There was no shakiness in her voice like I had. Her face was void of emotion.

She must be good at poker.

'Sorry who are you?'

I knew she was well aware of my name as she was aware I knew exactly who she was.

Maybe I dropped something else at the salon that I wasn't aware of and she's returning it, I thought naively.

'You know who I am Farah'

Again no real emotion, it was all statements.

I still didn't answer.

'Look I didn't come to cause any trouble or discomfort but I do wish to talk with you'

I looked at her. She must be livid. What did she know?

Did Sol confess to her about our indiscretion? No she would've slapped me by now I'm sure.

She was measured, controlled but I'm sure if she knew about that my face would be sore.

'Why are you here?'

The fact those words had escaped my lips was as much a surprise to me as they were to her.

'I told you I would like to speak to you'

She wasn't backing down.

'My son will be back soon I don't want to upset him' I told her honestly.

'I will be gone before Sol returns Malachi'

My son's name on her lips felt wrong.

I stood straight and pulled my shoulders back.

'You better come in'

Standing aside so I could let her into my parents home I was confused about her reasons for being here.

Shutting the door with my back to her. One hand on the door I closed my eyes and took a deep breath to centre myself in an attempt to control my nerves.

Turning to face her once again I indicated for her to join me in the living room.

Sitting opposite her I waited for her to talk.

'I am sorry for just coming by I am sure I am one of the last people you wanted to see'

I shrugged my shoulders.

'In all fairness' I started 'I would've thought the feeling was mutual'

She nodded.

'I don't have ill feeling toward you Farah'

Well this was a shock. I was fairly confident she can't have known about our intimate moment last night.

I remained quiet and let her say all she needed to say.

'I am sorry your son is poorly. I understand one hundred per cent why you needed to return to ask for Sol's help'

I looked at her she looked genuine.