Chapter VII: The key doesn't fit the lock

"San ka ba galing?"

I thought for a minute. I didn’t bother answering the question but continued unpacking my bags.

“Pupunta ako kay Rey after ko dito.”

"Pero san ka nga galing? I deserve to know. You’ve cancelled gigs for two weeks and left me here to deal with all the re-scheduling that’s very unprofessional! And your boyfriend is worried sick! My God! Kung di lang kita kaibigan, but we talked about this diba? I’m not your friend when it comes to work. What’s wrong with you?" Marla glared at me.

Just then Jana walked into the room, guess she kept Marla company in our apartment the whole time I was gone. “Where have you been? You can’t just go and leave us a note saying you’d be gone for two weeks. We almost called your family and Rey was so sad. He kept asking himself if he did something wrong but he can’t remember you two getting into a fight before you did your MIA act to all of us.”

Then it came to me why haven’t I been thinking of Rey? He’s probably dead with worry. Wait; did I even give him some thought? No. Not until at this moment. I was so consumed by Vito’s presence.

We went to Puerto Galera for two weeks with no hesitations on my part, I didn’t even think twice. All thoughts of Rey pushed in the back of my mind. Whenever I start to think and worry about him, Vito would be there drowning me with his charms and Rey’s name and face is gone as if I don’t even know him.

They eyed me waiting for an answer, but I just shook my head.

“Not now, I’ll tell you guys later. I have to see Rey right now.”

I can’t say it. I won’t. No. I want to throw punches at myself.

After two weeks of bliss, reality rushed back into me with its vengeance. I feel so miserable, so stupid and so evil. I rushed out of the apartment almost tripping on the stairs but I pulled through.

Where’s a cab when you need one? There. I hailed it. Went inside and didn’t look back.