Chapter Fourteen

A few days passed. With the remaining scrap hauled away, the inspector's nod of approval, and the rest of the supplies delivered, the team was already rebuilding Kulmis Primary and Secondary School.

Tom woke early one morning, more than eager to get back to the exterior wall he was still studding out. He was learning many new skills from the local carpenters on the job, and for the first time in a long time Tom felt he was of actual use.

The English actor was now comfortable with wielding a hammer, reading a tape measure and speed square, and calling out cuts. It felt good to do man's work, and Tom was proud of the calloused-over blisters on his palms.

If he worked hard and well enough today, he was quite sure that the west wall would be finished by supper. Using that as his goal, he decided to skip his morning run.

He threw on a white t-shirt, stained days ago, and long cargo shorts. Tom grabbed his tool belt, locked his bedroom door behind him, and then went to fetch Jess.

"Rise and shine, Darling!" he rang out as the screen door of the workshop made its familiar bang behind him.

When she did not answer him, Tom walked further into the room and looked around.

There were even more tools on the workbench now, and Tom saw that Jess had managed to dismantle one of the pumps. There were parts that he did not know the names of lined up in what Tom imagined was some sort of organization. He picked up a piece and turned it over in his hands.

Jess popped out from behind the privacy screen and smiled at Tom with her electric toothbrush in hand.

"What's this?" he asked.

Jess's mouth, full of foaming toothpaste, made a grunting noise before she hurried back to the sink. Tom heard the tap run and Jess spit a few times before she reappeared, wiping her lips with a shop rag.

"Valve assembly," she told him as she approached.

Jess's fingers brushed against his when she took the part from Tom's hands, and his skin tingled under her touch.

"A delivery valve assembly, to be more accurate." Tom leaned in as Jess pointed out the individual pieces to him. "This is a valve seat, this is the valve crack," she explained.

Tom's eyes moved from the assembly up to Jess's face, and he watched her rosy lips form her words.

Oh, how he ached to taste them again; how he fantasized about them on his body every night!

The increased rhythm of Tom's pulse in his ears began to drown out Jess's voice. He was close enough that all he need do was dip his head to snatch her mouth with his own.

Tom's body tensed as he debated on whether he should or not.

Would she kiss him back?

She was the one who came to his bed that night after all, but Tom did not take that as solid assurance that Jess was willing and wanting to kiss him again. If he crossed that physical line with her and she did not reciprocate, what would happen to their friendship? How awkward would they be with one another?

All of these considerations whirled through Tom's mind in a matter of seconds. When Jess looked up at him, Tom's eyes went large with fear that she knew what he was thinking.

"This is a gasket, and this is a star nut," she finished.

Jess saw from Tom's expression that he didn't understand a word she was saying, and she chuckled while she setting the assembly back down on the bench.

"But none of that probably interests you. I understand. Come on," she said turning back to the tall, good looking man that had become her daily companion. "Let's get some breakfast, and then get to work."