Chapter Five

Dadaab was nothing short of Hell on Earth, Luke was sure of it. Five-hundred thousand people crammed onto one plot of land, surrounded by a huge fence, and broken down into smaller camps surrounded by even more fences.

The smell alone, a mixture of misery, human waste, disease, and death was enough to make his mouth water with bile.

Harry silently snapped photographs capturing haunted, hollowed faces.

Tom's expression was somber as he counted how many markers were in the makeshift cemetery they passed.

Luke reached for Jess's hand when they witnessed a woman wailing and rocking a lifeless child in her arms. The little girl was probably no more than three or four, never even really given a fair chance to live.

Louise caught something flash across Jess's expression at the sight of them, but it was gone before she could give it a name.

Anger, perhaps?

They made their way into the camp and toward the center of 'town' slowly, jostling about in the back of a pickup truck As Sy sent to meet them at the gate.

On the outskirts, shacks constructed of wood and cane, some covered in plastic, were shoved up against one another, lining the dusty dirt streets. A baby could be heard crying. Men were arguing. Women bent over large pots of dirty water, scrubbing clean what little bits of clothing their families owned. Everyone looked desperately emaciated and ill.

As they pushed further inward, absurd and out of place as it appeared, Tom noticed some people had cell phones, new shoes, and golden earrings and necklaces. There were shops and markets, schools and cafes. The houses seemed of sturdier quality, some even having satellite dishes mounted on them.

Tom gathered that the newest refugees, freshly arrived and empty-handed, settled on the outskirts, while more established families lived toward the center.

The truck stopped, and Louise thanked the driver in Swahili as the rest of the team jumped down from the bed. A tall dark African brushed past Tom, grazing his shoulder. He spoke very loudly to the man accompanying him and made no effort to acknowledge, let alone excuse himself to, Tom.

Seemed rather like a regular day on the streets of London in that regard.

"We'll touch base with As Sy," Louise informed them. "He's staying here with us for the week, and then guiding us to Jowhar. I'll see what he has planned for us this afternoon."

She was keeping an eye on her teammates; carefully observing each one's reactions. So far she was quite pleased. Besides their initial physical repulsion to the heat and stench, Louise had seen nothing short of utter compassion from them. If they made it through serving in congested and chaotic Dadaab, she had no doubt that slower, smaller Jowhar would be a welcomed relief to them.

"You'll stay here," As Sy informed them, pointing to a concrete building.

There was no glass in the windows, just open holes cut into the walls. They were high enough and small enough to keep anyone from climbing into them, and Jess was thankful they were all staying together.

She and Louise were briefed upon arrival that under no circumstances were they to go out alone - especially at night. Rape was an all-too common occurrence in the camps, and two white Western women would be considered a special victory indeed.

Jess found the idea of having the three men in their quarters very reassuring.

They had spent the afternoon with As Sy, getting the lay of the place. Dadaab was broken down into three camps: Ifo, Dagahaley, and Hagardera. It was opened in 1991, with a capacity for ninety thousand occupants.