Chapter Forty-One

“Just landed and about to hail a taxi,” Luke told Jess through his phone. “Care to meet up for some lunch?”

Luke passed the driver his luggage, which the man stowed in the boot of the cab. The publicist held up a finger to him when asked where he was going.

“Jess, did you hear me?” Luke questioned. “Will you join me for lunch?”

Jess had heard Luke just fine. She wanted to see her Little Buddy, but was afraid of what news he might have for her.

Jess, I’m sorry, but Tom’s moved on. He’s seeing other people now, and said that you should do the same. It’s just too difficult for him to keep relationships with the line of work he’s in. And let’s face it: you’re not exactly A-list material.

Luke’s entire speech played out in her mind before Jess answered him.

“Yeah,” she said. “Sure.”

Luke noticed how far away Jess seemed. She was reserved and distant with him, and he wondered what happened to her during the month he’d been away.

“Excellent!” Luke responded, making a deliberate effort to sound upbeat. “Can’t wait to see you, Jess. Meet me at Salt.” Luke paused to consider if the American would know where the cafe was. “It’s over by Covent Garden,” he clarified. “Your driver will get you there.”

“Ah, there she is!” Luke greeted, rising from his seat and smoothing down the front of his suit jacket. He met Jess as she approached the table, opened his arms, and then hugged her tight. “It’s so very good to see you, my Dear. Please,” Luke said, pulling out a chair. “Sit down.”

Always fond of Luke’s refined manners, Jess smiled up at him before allowing her friend to tuck her under the table.

Salt was an island of calm, perfect for a bit of serenity away from the tourist traps. Luke favored the two small, narrow rooms of the place with limited seating and a blissfully relaxed atmosphere.

“Everything here is delicious, Jess,” he told her. Luke watched the woman from over the top of his menu until he caught Jess’s eyes. “And I mean everything. I’ve sampled each and every dish on this thing.” He chuckled at himself, which then turned into a bright smile when Jess laughed at him. “It truly is wonderful to see you again, Jess. Tom and I have both missed you so much.”

Jess’s grin began to fade, and she went back to searching her menu. “How’s he doing?” she asked.

Jess kept her focus on the descriptions printed in front of her, but she was not registering any of their words. She waited, her pulse thrumming in her neck, for Luke to answer.

“Complains every day that he can’t stand being without you,” Luke replied with an exaggerated roll of his eyes. “But other than that, he seems to be just fine. Wants to get back to London as soon as he can,” Luke continued.

The waitress brought them each a glass of water, introduced herself, and then gave them the day’s specials.

Luke ordered vegetarian quiche and a caramel macchiato, and Jess selected a grilled chicken Panini along with a mint mocha latte. The waitress nodded in approval and retrieved their menus before leaving.

Luke leaned forward. He reached out across the table, motioning for Jess’s hand. “Please tell me what’s bothering you,” Luke gently urged.

Jess accepted his hand and gave it a reassuring squeeze. She shook her head and smiled, but Luke wasn’t buying it.

“Jess, I know you,” he said in a firm tone. “Now out with it.”

She stared at him for a moment, and then pulled her phone from her bag. Jess tapped the screen a few times before setting the phone down and pushing it over to Luke.