Chapter I (Annabeth)

The storm had been going on all day now and Annabeth hoped it would stop soon. She was chilled to the bone. Rain had managed to soak through the thick layers of clothing she wore and her hair had turned from its natural blonde to a dark, tangled mess, dripping water everywhere. Not that it mattered much. Everywhere she walked pools of water formed, even inside buildings from the amount of people trotting in and out of the rain. 

The sun should have been directly overhead, casting the land in a warm glow. But unfortunately the only weather the townsfolk received was a miserable and cloudy day. It appeared to be on the verge of night because of the ominous dark grey skies. And when Annabeth let the oak door swing closed behind her after stepping foot into the barracks she was enveloped in darkness. No windows had been built into the stone structure, which annoyed her when she had to stumble around with her hands out front, searching for a piece of furniture or a wall to guide her across the room. She let out a small, inaudible sigh of relief when she found her intended destination, a wooden door that would've been situated at the very back. Her fingers fumbled and slipped against the door handle due to her wet hands, and when she did manage to get a hold, the thing wouldn't budge. This time Annabeth didn't stifle her sound of frustration when being forced to undertake the second option. 

Her fists knocked furiously against the wood, "Open this door, damn it." Her voice full of annoyance and raised to a shout. A series of clicks followed shortly after and Annabeth couldn't help but squint as light flooded the room. The door had been pulled open and a largely decorated room greeted her. Torches were burning brightly along the walls, warming her cold body steadily. She stepped forward and shrugged off her drenched, red cloak, unpinning the bronze clasps and then chucking it onto a chair to her side. When she turned her head her sights fell upon her second in command, the only other person filling the room. 

Clarisse La Rue faced Annabeth and saluted, "General." 

The girl had adorned her usual ensemble consisting of a bronze chest plate and leather grieves over a tunic. The customary soldiers armour, like Annabeth's. But instead of a helmet she simply tied a red piece of cloth around her hair, holding it in place. Besides her clothing, Clarisse also wore her famous scowl and clutched Maimer-her spear- in hand. 

"Clarisse," Annabeth acknowledged, "why exactly have I been summoned?" She stalked the length of the room, gliding over the carpet and passing tapestries to sit at the wooden desk, the high back chair supporting her weight as she slunk down on it. She hastily pulled off her weapons belt and placed it on the table in front of her. Clarisse relaxed, and if Annabeth was right, a small glint had appeared behind her eyes. She almost looked excited. 

"We have him." 

Three simple words, that's all they were, but they ran wild in her mind. Instantly she sat up straighter, more interested in what her second in command had to say. 

"He was intercepted by my troops at the Stoa of Attalos where he attempted to fight," her lips curled up in a sinister sneer, "he did not make it very far." 

Annabeth couldn't believe it. After so many years of hunting down this one man, and finally, after all their planning and scheming they had brought him down. It was too good to be true. Yet she didn't allow her hopes to rise. Anything could change within a matter of moments. 

"I cannot seem to understand. We have spent years tracking him down, and we catch him now, barely without a fight? Why?" Annabeth queried. From many failed attempts to get their hands on their victim, she highly doubted it would turn out to be this easy. 

Clarisse carelessly swiped her spear in front of her as she made a wide hand gesture, "we have him, which is the important thing. He cannot escape."