Chapter XXVI (Annabeth)

The hunters stealth was certainly something to be impressed by. Compared to them, Annabeth's supposedly light footing sounded like she was about to give away their position at any given moment. They kept to the shadows, using the shade of the houses as cover and hiding efficiently when the time called for it.

Annabeth did her best to duplicate their skill, but their immortal grace was unique, and therefore, putting her to shame. The fact that they weren't turning around and telling her to quiet down was the only thing keeping her confident. She wondered how Percy was managing.

"Down," Thalia harshly whispered.

Immediately her hunters followed her movement and crouched behind a cluster of barrels. Thalia grabbed Annabeth's arm and pulled her into the abandoned stall they were passing, using the torn drapes as extra cover.

The General nearly yelped in surprise at the sudden change of course. It took her by surprise. But thankfully she reigned herself in by the time a patrol of demigods swooped past, their armour clinking together and their footsteps in perfect rhythm as they marched past.

As soon as their original group of ten split up in their separate directions, it seemed that the Titan Army had finally thought it necessary to seal their location. The once empty, gravel streets was now filled with the occasional shout of command and the hustle and bustle of soldiers scooting past. Thalia had commanded them to hide every ten steps or so. Annabeth was finding it difficult to keep up. But she persisted, and finally they found themselves right below their final position.

Thalia beckoned her hunters to climb the house they stopped at. Two ascended to the rooftop, another one silently climbing the house beside it. They kept low, their chests making contact with the shabby craftsmanship of the clay roofs. After looking around for potential threats, they signalled for Thalia and Annabeth to make their way up, which they quickly obliged.

The daughter of Athena instantly looked around their advantage point when she got a clear view. They were a safe distance away from the main force of the Titan Army, not yet close enough to the square to see what was happening. Yet they could discern where enemy troops stood on guard, whether that be within the alleyways bellow them, or striding across the rooftops above. It was the latter problem that the hunters and the General had to worry about.

Annabeth began moving with the hunters as they stalked forward, jumping the gaps where necessary and halting for when a patrol shuffled by. When an enemy came across their path, Thalia dispatched one of her troops to deal with the nuisance, which usually consisted of knocking them out, tying them up, and dumping them in the nearest hiding hole. Their path was quick and efficient with minimal distractions, which greatly served their purpose. Annabeth was surprised there weren't more guards on the rooftops. Maybe the Titan Army were overly cocky and skipped this detail? Maybe they hadn't thought they'd be spied upon from above? They were either bad strategists, or Annabeth and her company were walking into an immaculate plan. That thought unsettled her.

The pounding of weapons drew Annabeth out of her thoughts. She could very clearly discern the sound of metal against metal, or the butts of spears and the like scrapping against the ground. It was a loud, obnoxious rhythm, one that only started once a crowd of soldiers got excited. She should know. She had her fair share of leading troops into battle.

They were finally closing in on the town square, where the pounding became an uproar. Annabeth, Thalia and the other three hunters slowed their procession, stooping as low to the roofs as possible. Soon enough they were crawling forwards on their chests, finally reaching the end of the last roof and looking over the square.

Annabeth mentally cursed at the sight below them.

The space was about the size of the palace gardens back at home. Large, cluttered and big enough to accommodate approximately a hundred odd people. But where the sounds of birds fluttering in the trees and the wind swaying through the foliage should have been, it was replaced with a thunderous chant from the hoard of enemies down below. A large, wooden, circular structure had been built directly in the middle of the square. No one was on it though, which indicated it would soon belong to someone of higher status.