Chapter XXXII (Annabeth)

Before she even opened her eyes, Annabeth knew something was different. And it wasn't the temperature (although it did feel a little warmer than usual). It was only a matter of figuring out what.

She lay in the same bed, that was certain. The sheets entangling her body were familiar. The ship rocking back and forth and the distorted sound of the waves splashing against the wooden hull were unchanged. So what felt out of place?

Eyes still closed, the daughter of Athena took a deep breath in, about to yawn. The scent of a salty sea breeze struck her nose, stopping her movement. Her eyebrows pulled together, and she lazily angled her head upwards and lifted a hand to rub at her eye.

Annabeth frowned further when she felt the even breaths of air hitting her hair.

What on Olym-...oh.

Finally, the General opened her eyes.

Immediately she was met with the sleeping form of the Captain. They must have been moving the night, because now they seemed... awkwardly close, to say the least. The idiot had rolled onto his side again, facing her. The covers of the bed slipped down his body to expose everything up past his waist. Thankfully the bandages were still in place, but she doubted he'd appreciate the pain when he woke. Annabeth was keenly aware of how close his face was to hers, angling just above her own.

Last's night's conversation came to the front of her mind. She sighed and wondered why on earth she had agreed. During the spur of the moment, Annabeth didn't see anything wrong with the gesture. It was late, she was tired, and when Percy offered her the bed there were little to no arguments her mind could formulate. But now she was re-evaluating her choices.

She hated it.

She disliked it for the sole reason of it feeling nice. It felt comfortable. The extra body temperature from Percy kept the evenings chill at bay, and the steady rhythm of his breathing had lulled her to sleep quicker than her previous nights alone. There she was, worrying about the actions of the Titan Army, when she should've been worrying about her own. Now she was caught in one big, emotional mess.

Annabeth moved away as stealthily as possible, hoping the son of Poseidon wouldn't wake. She was successful, and soon was standing out of the bed, looking down at his sleeping figure. Now the General could see his face, and the sight was in the most part humorous. The inky blackness of his hair stood out at odd ends and his cheek was squished comically against the bedding. Eyes shut and mouth parted, the little puddle of drool formed on his pillow only added to the amusing effect.

Annabeth ran a hand through her hair as she quietly moved about. She found clothes for the day and the hat Percy gave her and changed in the main room, viewed the charts and finished writing yesterday's mission report at the desk in front of the windows. The later piece of work was moved to one of the draws on the desk where she kept the rest of them.

Meanwhile, Percy remained asleep. At times she thought the pirate had stirred from his slumber. She heard the bed moved, paused what she was doing and waiting for him to emerge from the curtains. But time passed and she realised he was still knocked out. She had half a mind to wake him, but thought better of it. She'd might as well let him sleep if he was going to be penned up in the room all day again.

As soon as Annabeth finished organising the papers and deemed the area fit, she exited the quarters. Immediately the sun made itself present by allowing its rays to heat everything it touched. It seemed the deck radiated the pent up warmth, and all those aboard felt the unwanted effect. Annabeth spied Beckendorf and Leo building a makeshift shade covering on the aft of the ship, half completed by the looks of it. Silena and Hazel sat huddled beneath the shadow of the stairs, fanning themselves with any lightweight materials they could find. Connor was literally dangling off the side of the boat, holding onto a rope as the sea spray came at his face. She supposed the others were still below deck.